News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Itchy Painful Left Breast

gmeyer510 - Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:53 pm

I am 26 years old. Over the last six months I have felt an itching sensation under the nipple on my left breast that radiates out toward the armpit. If I try to scratch, it is an itch that feels as if it can never be satisfied. The itching is not constant and usually only lasts for about a week and then will come and go every few weeks. I was only experiencing the itching for the first couple of months, but I am now experiencing pain in the same area that I have been having the itching. The first few months I thought that it was a new PMS sign, but started tracking it and it is not regulated with my periods at all - sometimes it's before, during, or after. It is also only ever occurring in my left breast in the same area every time. I've done self exams and can feel no lumps, but I'm concerned about what this could be. My grandmother and aunt have had tumors in their breasts, but were benign and have not had any of the problems that I am having. Please let me know if you have any advice. Thank you. : )
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:51 pm

User avatar Hello,

Itching is a non specific symptom and is commonly associated with dermatological problems like eczema. Sometimes breast cancer presents with painful breast and eczema (inflammatory breast cancer) however the condition is usually progressive and resistant to conventional treatment like local ointment.

Your symptoms are more likely to be due to mild and benign condition and local clinical examination is mandatory to reach proper diagnosis and treatment.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:04 pm

User avatar Hello,
I hope your visit to your doctor reassured you and everything is clear now.

Just in case no obvious explanation could be reached and you still have symptoms, these causes need to be excluded too:
1- Referred pain for example from the chest wall.

2- Sometimes some female hormone changes (for example during periods of stress) cause similar symptoms. Although pain caused by hormonal changes is bilaterally presented, it is sometimes felt in one side initially.

So when you follow with your doctor discus with him this possibility and gynecological consultation may be beneficial.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here