Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Itchy Painful Left Breast

gmeyer510 - Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:53 pm

I am 26 years old. Over the last six months I have felt an itching sensation under the nipple on my left breast that radiates out toward the armpit. If I try to scratch, it is an itch that feels as if it can never be satisfied. The itching is not constant and usually only lasts for about a week and then will come and go every few weeks. I was only experiencing the itching for the first couple of months, but I am now experiencing pain in the same area that I have been having the itching. The first few months I thought that it was a new PMS sign, but started tracking it and it is not regulated with my periods at all - sometimes it's before, during, or after. It is also only ever occurring in my left breast in the same area every time. I've done self exams and can feel no lumps, but I'm concerned about what this could be. My grandmother and aunt have had tumors in their breasts, but were benign and have not had any of the problems that I am having. Please let me know if you have any advice. Thank you. : )
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:51 pm

Itching is a non specific symptom and is commonly associated with dermatological problems like eczema. Sometimes breast cancer presents with painful breast and eczema (inflammatory breast cancer) however the condition is usually progressive and resistant to conventional treatment like local ointment.

Your symptoms are more likely to be due to mild and benign condition and local clinical examination is mandatory to reach proper diagnosis and treatment.

Please keep us updated.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:04 pm

I hope your visit to your doctor reassured you and everything is clear now.

Just in case no obvious explanation could be reached and you still have symptoms, these causes need to be excluded too:
1- Referred pain for example from the chest wall.

2- Sometimes some female hormone changes (for example during periods of stress) cause similar symptoms. Although pain caused by hormonal changes is bilaterally presented, it is sometimes felt in one side initially.

So when you follow with your doctor discus with him this possibility and gynecological consultation may be beneficial.

Please keep us updated.

|