Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen groin lypmh node

JaymeG - Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:29 pm

I'm a 26 year old female/mother of 2 girls. On July 31, 2008 I was taken to the local ER for abdominal pain and a lump in my groin that I found. I found out that I have a hernia, and after having a pelvic exam and culture done, I found out that I had a bacterial infection. I was on the NuvaRing as birth control, which made me gain some weight. I was prescribed Flagyl 500mg twice a day. After I finished the antibiotic, it seems that my lymph node swelled. I don't know the exact name of it. It is located on my left side close to the groin area, above the crease of the leg. I think it might have to do with the infection I had. I'm going back to the doctor to make sure the infection is gone. It doesn't hurt, it goes down in size if I'm up and walking around. Once I sit for long periods of time or when I wake up, since I do sleep on my left side, is when it feels the most swollen. I honestly don't know how to measure it, I don't know what it means when people say it's mobile. If I touch it, you can push in on it and it moves from side to side with my finger. Could this be due to the infection? My mother and father both passed away from cancer, and I just recently lost my aunt to cancer. I am so worried about this because I have kids. It is a very scary thing. My CBC showed my WBC at 13.6 and my Lymph % at 22%, the ER doctor said this was due to the infection. Do I have anything to worry about?

Thank you
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:47 pm

It is common to have lymph node enlargement following infection in the area drained by this lymph node group.

Following infection Lymph nodes are usually enlarged and painful then they regress in size but never to normal size following recovery from infection with proper antibiotic treatment.

However, it is not typical for a lymph node swelling to change with position as you described. Direct clinical examination is essential to better characterize this swelling and exclude other causes like hernia, lipoma or any other swelling.

so, I advise you to follow up with your doctor.
Please Keep us updated.
 JaymeG - Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:39 am

Thank you for your reply. I did go to the doctor to have my annual pap done. I told the doctor exactly how I came to notice it, and about the hernia and infection. She said that the lymph node was of normal size and that she didn't see any infection left.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood what I said. I have read that your lymph nodes should be mobile. What that means, I'm not sure. I just know that it is not rock hard and it is not fixed in place. It has gone down tremendously. At the time, it felt swollen when I first woke up or when I was sitting for long periods of time. It may have not been swollen at all.

Thank again

|