Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Please help! Severe bleeding in stool

Suika - Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:27 am

I'm asking this on behalf of my grandmother, who has been experiencing severe blood in stool and diarrhea for some time now. As far as I know, she has not had any notable illnesses or problems before.

She claims that the degree of it depends on what she has eaten; Chinese food in particular seems to make things worse. On top of the heavy bleeding, she complains of pain throughout her body and is depressed some of the time. We are very concerned with her. Especially considering she does not have the insurance to see a doctor.
We would like to know if there's a medication she can take... or if this is a serious condition where she requires quick professional help. The fact that she can't see a doctor worries us greatly. Any suggestions? Or any treatments we can buy from a pharmacy? Please let us know.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:18 am

User avatar Hi Suika,
When bleeding is a result from the upper gastrointestinal tract, for example, the stomach, small intestines, etc., the appearance of blood is dark and tarry/black in appearance. When blood is from the lower gastrointestinal tract, for example, the large intestine or rectum it can range in colors from maroon to bright red. The cause of bloody stool can be numerous such as, hemorrhoids, anal fissures or tears, diverticulosis, diverticulitis, colitis, and the list goes on. Rectal bleeding can also indicate even more serious conditions. The blood loss can lead to anemia resulting in pallor, fatigue and a general feeling of malaise as well as shortness of breath. Most areas offer evaluations for a reduced fee or free which is typically based on income for people whom are uninsured. Rectal bleeding is abnormal and particularly since this seems to be a longstanding or ongoing problem would certainly warrant an evaluation by a physician. I would srongly encourage your grandmother to have an evaluation. Best wishes.

|