News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Prostate Cancer

Question: what are his chances with prostate cancer a second time

kazza26 - Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:36 am

my uncle had prostate cancer but he got rid of it and it went into remission unfortunatly its now come back,my mum said if cancer comes back a second time the chances of survival are very low,as my grandad had skin cancer that went then he had liver cancer and died from it very quickly,so is there a high chance my uncle will die know he has prostate cancer a second time
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:55 pm

User avatar Hello -

While I don't know what the specific statistics are on this type of cancer recurrence, I can tell you a couple things. First, any cancer carries a risk of recurrence. A cancer which recurs carries a statistically worse prognosis than a first-time cancer in the same location. All that being said, cancer is pretty much an ongoing problem, and while we always hope it won't recur, it can. It hasn't, apparently, spread to any other part of his body, so it's still localized and the doctors are aware of it. If it hasn't spread, prostate cancer is one of the more manageable ones. So the statistical chances for survival improve, theoretically because of that. It's difficult to say, without a lot of specifics, just how this bout of prostate cancer may play out, but it could be the original cancer was treated conservatively, which means it could be treated more radically this time (with removal of the prostate). There's no telling how this will turn out, but it is a better scenario than many are, and one can't compare one type of cancer with another, nor one case with another.

Hopefully your uncle's doctors are on top of the problem -- since once one has had cancer, one has to be followed for it anyway, even if it seems to be gone. This works to your uncle's advantage.

Best of luck to your uncle in his fight with this. Please stay in touch here.
 kazza26 - Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:29 pm

ok thank you

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here