Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Bleeding per rectum - diarrhea/constipation - Colon cancer?

saintric_21 - Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:00 pm

Hi there I have been having some symptoms that have caused me concern for around a few weeks now.I have been bleeding whilst passing stools and its bright red and has some on the tissue and splattered on the bowl.After Passing stools I have stomach cramps, aches and general discomfort.Other symptoms have been gas, stomach noises alot.

Along with this I have developed a pain in my right side behind my ribs that comes and goes and isnt tender to touch, a mouth ulcer and my stools have been a mix of diarreha and constipation and have done 1 black stool.before all this I had a BMI check which came back at 27.9 so i changed my diet to a bit more healthy foods.Im 26 male 5ft 7inches and weigh 12stones 12lbs.I have had piles before and bleeding on and off before but this time other symptoms have come into it.I also had an anal fissue about a year ago, I went to the doctor and he did a rectal examination and also felt around my stomach there is a pain when he pressed on my lower abdomen above my penis area.He arranged for a sigmoidscopy and Urine test.I left his office ina terrible state I am so worried by the thought I have bowel/colon cancer I have a 1 year old daughter who i worship and cannot bear the thought of losing my life before she gets to know me and how much i love her.

I took it upon myself at this point to visit the Hospital they gave me a Blood test and urine test he said these came back fine and seemed to think it could be a stomach ulcer, he said to contact my Doctor and request an URGENT OGD this also made me worried somthing was wrong but now I wont get seen for another week !! its making think it might be too late and the cancer will spread

Im so depressed at the minute cant help but feel this is bad.I have no history of Bowel or Colon cancer in my family thankfully I do lead a very sedantry lifestyle and bad diet for years now and im wondering if this is going to be my downfall? gave up smoking early this year also and have always had a sensitive stomach also last point I have developed a polyp before although this was a nasal polyp and has now gone by itself.

Sorry for the long post but I came here hoping for some information and if theres a chance with my medical background with bowel symptoms I could have cancer?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:02 pm

There are many causes that result in bleeding per rectum and alternating diarrhea and constipation.

In general Fresh Blood in stools are usually due to lower gastrointestinal GI bleeding.
Causes include
- Hemorrhoids or piles, they represent the most common cause of lower GI bleeding, and are easy to be diagnosed by clinical examination. Anorectal fissures as well can result in Bleeding per rectum and are easily diagnosed.

- Inflammation of the mucosa lining the rectum or the rectum and colon a condition known as proctitis or proctocolitis respectively.
These conditions are either due to infectious diseases or non infectious disease as a part of inflammatory bowel disease (less likely and include Crohn's disease and Ulcerative colitis), they are usually associated with changes in the bowel habits (diarrhea)
Diagnostic tests include stool analysis to check for parasites and protozoa. Segmoidoscopy is essential for diagnosis.

- Upper gastrointestinal causes like gastritis, esophagitis,GERD, gastric or doudenal ulcers rarely cause fresh blood in stool. These conditions usually cause dark stool due to digested blood but when bleeding is severe, fresh blood can be seen. These cnditions are associated with upper abdominal pain and tenderness and are usually related to meals.
Upper endoscopy is essential for diagnosis.

- Irritable bowel syndrome IBS, is diagnosed by exclusion
Commonly people who have IBS complain off
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus or less commonly blood containing stools.

- The small intestine is a rare source for GI bleeding.

- Cancer is one of the causes to be excuded although not common at your age group. Physicians should always exclude serious causes while investigating for changes in bowel habit and GI bleeding regardless how likely they could be the cause.

Hope you find this information useful.
I would advise you to follow up with your docotr, he might recommend a CBC, repeat stool analysis, and endocscopy.

Please keep us updated.
 saintric_21 - Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:24 am

thank you very much for your reply it is deeply appreciated.I went and had a sigmoidscopy but they said they could only see 10cm inside due to feacal matter and they seemed to have told me as far as they are concerned it isnt anything sinister and suspect IBS.The bleeding happens very rarely now but I have had varying bouts of diarrhea that last over 10 days and also constipation.I do feel a bit frustrated that the doctors seem to have accepted all is well despite doing all the tests I did a stool test at home myself it came back positive as to blood in the feaces but my doctor again seemed unconcered I guess I will just have to relax and accept his opinion although I would feel more at ease if the tests where all done...

|