Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: hard lumps in groin

angierhayes - Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:19 pm

I have had very hard lumps in my groin area for about two years now. I first noticed them about 2 or 3 months after my son was born. I haven't been terribly concerned about them because they do not hurt. Since I lost my pregnancy weight plus some quickly after giving birth and these lumps appeared, my mom is concerned. I started doing some research on the internet and the only answers I have found so far are cancer. I would think that if I had cancer I would be terribly sick. Is that true? Should I see a doctor? I also have some hard lumps on my shins.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:43 am

These are probably lymph nodes (inguinal) as they occur in a lymph node region, however this must be confirmed by your physician. The inguinal lymph nodes are situated in the crease between the leg and pelvis (more on the outside of that crease). They drain the vulva, vagina, perineum, gluteal region, lower abdominal wall, and lower anal canal.

Common causes of enlargement include infections of the leg or foot, STDs (eg, herpes simplex virus, gonococcal infection), any other type of infections and inflammarion in the pelvic organs, lymphoma, and pelvic malignancy.

Nodes are generally considered to be normal if they are up to 1 cm in diameter; however, some authors suggest that inguinal nodes larger than 1.5 cm should be considered abnormal. These nodes are usually soft to firm, mobile, and not painful. You noticed these nodes after a cesarean section, so the probability that these nodes are enlarged due to inflammation and infection in the pelvis or lower abdominal wall is high.

Hard nodes (felt like the bone) are suspecious and should be studied properly to exclude serious causes like malignancy.

I would also advise you to contact your doctor for direct clinical examination and investigations.

Please keep us updated.
 angierhayes - Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:04 pm

Thank you for your reply. My son was born in January 2006. Could there be an infection that could have been going on for that long? I have not made an appointment with my doctor yet because I don't know if it is necessary. The lumps aren't really big and they feel like pebbles under my skin. If it was something serious that needed medical attention wouldn't I have other symptoms? Could it just be that I didn't notice these before I became so much thinner?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:23 pm

It is possible that they are reactionary lymph nodes to infections or inflammation that passed unnoticed after surgery or any other type of inflammation in the parts drained by these lymph nodes. When infection or inflammation subsides nodes become smaller but never disappear and are usually felt as Mobile, painless, less than 1 cm, soft to firm, and known as nonspecific.

In general nodes that are not progressively enlarging and have the characters I mentioned before Nodes that continue to grow or increase in number should be investigated properly.

The fact that you have noticed them recently makes it essential to be examined by your Doctor at least for exclusion of any serious causes and to treat an underlying infection.

Hope you find this useful.
Please keep us updated.

|