Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Long Time Enlarged Neck Node

xaoite - Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:38 am

Around a year ago, I came down with a severe sore neck, a cold...and the lymph node on the left side of my neck, on the front near my jaw became a little larger and a fair amount harder.

I was still able to "wiggle" it around a little bit, but to be on the same side, I had some blood tests (beta hcg and alpha feta protein spelling?) just to be on the safe side and they came back totally clear

for the next couple of months, i would have some throbbing and aching pain around it...and some sharp pain on the same side of my neck.. only when i would eat or drink something very hot or very cold

the "hardness" as well as the enlargement have not gone away, and now it has been almost a year...but the pain of eating or drinking hot or cold has totally gone away...and though it doesnt hurt, sometimes it feels a little funny..almost a little numb

I have kind of put it on the backburner...since the pain has actually gotten better, not worse, and it has not increased in size at all

what does this sound like? since it remains enlarged, (though it seems to go up and down, as though it gets swollen at certain times, then goes down)

i am highly allergic to mold and i work in a high mold and dust environment, but I want to make sure.

thank you very much!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:59 pm

User avatar Hi there -

What it sounds like may have happened was that you had perhaps a bout of mono about a year ago, but the blood tests you had done wouldn't have told you if that's what was going on. A mono spot test would have been more helpful, as well as CBC. However, that was a while ago, and what you're left with now, regardless of what sort of infection you had at the time, it's probably moved on. Sometimes, though, these parotid (salivary) glands can remain enlarged and even sore for a long time afterward.

Since it's still causing some discomfort, I think it would be wise to have it checked, since it could have developed a walled-off (cystic) infection, although it does seem to be getting better. A CBC and mono spot (or, better yet, one or more of the tests for Epstein-Barr virus) would help by showing whether or not you had had mono, which would help explain the cranky gland. If negative, there may be something that can (or should) be done to help the gland return to normal.

Hopefully this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as necessary.
 JPS - Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Doctor,

I am 39 and have had a similair lump on the left side of my neck for 10+ years. It also will be occassionally achy but all in all not much pain. It is roughly 1.5 CM, palpable, somewhat firm (rubbery). I have no classic Cancer symptoms but it does concern me from time to time. Any thought as to what may be causing this persistant swollen node?

I did have my tonsils and adnoids removed when I was around 12, prior to that I suffered from chronic inner ear infections, tonsilitis and my glands were swollen alot. Could this have been the cause of this adulthood problem?

|