Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: Gradually increasing knee pain - Osteosarcoma/bone cancer?

helpme05 - Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:31 am

First of all, I'm just 15 years old. Female.

I've been experiencing pain and discomfort only in my RIGHT knee and leg for nearly a year now. I can't sleep well recently. The pain is gradual. First it wasn't that bad, but now its really affecting me.

Well, the pain/discomfort worsens at night or when my legs are at rest. It also hurts when i just stand for quite some time and when i do physical activities that involves my legs. Also when i just walk. the pain/discomfort just attacks suddenly. I really am confused.

I've tried anti-inflammatory drugs but they do not work.

Could anyone help me? Has anyone experienced the same symptoms?
I did some research and my symptoms keep saying BONE CANCER.
i just wanna be sure. I'm pretty scared. But i don't feel a lump. Does that already cross out bone cancer?
it started while i was sleeping, now it also hurts when i do activities. I sometimes limp. i just don't put my weight on my right leg so it won't hurt. I think its not swollen. i don't feel any lumps. but it hurts that i cannot sleep at night because as i have said it worsens at night.

I just got my blood results, here it is, I don't know if its connected or something. I'll just post it.

MY RESULTS:
Hemoglobin = 109
Hematocrit = 0.34
WBC Count = 4.50
RBC Count = 3.50
Platelet Count = 200
Lymphocites = 0.48
Neutrophiles = 0.53

REFERENCE VALUE:
Hemoglobin = 120-140(FEMALE)
Hematocrit = 0.37 - 0.47(FEMALE)
WBC Count = 5 - 10 x 10^9 / L
RBC Count = 4.5 - 5.5 x 10^12 / L
Platelet Count = 150 - 350 x 10^9 / L
Lymphocites = 0.20 - 0.40
Neutrophiles = 0.40 - 0.60

these symptoms have been around for almost a year now.
does the blood count results have something to do w/ osteosarcoma?
and would be osteosarcoma be diagnosed right away w/ an x-ray?
if a tumor was not found on the x-ray, its not osteosarcoma right?

thanks so much! and sorry for the long post.
i'm just nervous. i can't say this to my parents cause they'll just gonna laugh at me and say that i'm over-reacting.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:40 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Your blood work doesn't suggest anything, really, certainly nothing that would point toward osteosarcoma. The pain could be caused by a lot of things, and of course a tumor is one possibility. It also could be a baker's cyst, arthritis, or a chronic injury that's never healed properly. On x-ray an osteosarcoma has a very distinctive appearance, so having the knee x-rayed could rule this out (or, of course, as unlikely as it would be statistically, ruled in), and perhaps any more innocent causes of the pain could be visualized as well.

Almost a year is a long time to deal with a chronic pain, and it should be examined and treated so you can get a decent night's sleep and not have to worry that you may have something seriously wrong (even if you do, because then it could be treated, which is preferable to just letting it go and wondering). Oh, and by now, yes, chances are you would be able to feel the tumor manually. If you don't, that makes it a lot less likely. Also the fact that the knee hasn't failed or spontaneously fractured suggests things aren't likely cancerous, but whatever's going on you deserve to know what it is and have it treated effectively.

I hope you'll see to it that you are seen my a doctor and have the knee x-rayed for sure, as this is the first step in ruling out osteoscarcoma and ruling in any one of a dozen or so more likely causes of the pain. And don't underestimate your parents' ability to empathize. :)

I sure hope this helps ease your mind. I think the ultimate mind-easer would be to know what's happening with the knee, and the sooner the better. Best of luck to you and please follow up with us here.

|