Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: pain swellin lumps in left breast what is it? help please!!

barney08 - Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:55 pm

Im a 21 years old, about 3 months ago i found a lump in my right breast. i have been examined in the breast clinic i had 2 lumps 3cm each. They took samples twice because the 1st time it came back inconclusive the 2nd time came back that 1 lump was benine and the other was changing..what does that mean they advised me to have them removed straight away which i did. They had made a mistake on the forms and had written my left breast...so had to check for security reasons luckily they had really as they found a lump in my left breast too.
I have had an ultrasound and because it was only 2cm they are leaving it. Now 3 months later my left breast is a little swollen and appears to be abit bruised i have pains around and under the nipple and outward towards my underarm is this connected to the lump?? do you know what it could be im scared of going back to the hospital as they don't seem to explain anything or care i am scared have you got any advice please help. also could it affect breast feeding in the future??
Thank you
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:08 pm

It would be more helpful if you can inform us about the detailed results of the pathology report for the removed breast lumps including the gross and the microscopic picture. Any history of recent trauma to the breast or recent infection and fever would be helpful too.

You also mentioned that you have been diagnosed with neurofibromatosis, do you have any other swellings (subcutaneous) that have been proved to be of neurofibromatosis origin and did your physician inform the pathologist about this while studying the removed breast lumps? Although a rare possibility but should be considered based on your history.

It is also not clear for me the information you provide about the left breast mass that was 2 cm (so it was left) 3 month ago. Did you mean it was just biopsied or left under follow up with no biopsy taken?

The picture you descriped may range from, an inflammation and infection in the breast (mastitis) to breast cancer.

Clinical examination is essential, so I would advise you to be checked soon. Your physician will recommend a new mammography and US. In addition a course of antibiotic will be helpful.

Hope you find this information useful.
Please keep us updated.
 barney08 - Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:29 pm

The pathology report from my right breast stated that the 1st tumor was fibroadinoma and the 2nd tumor was changing to a fibromiloma.
I had no biopsys taken for my left breast because they were just 2cm on the US.
They told me that they don't remove them till there 2.5cm and they think they are just fibroadinomas if the one in my right breast can change to a fibromiloma can my left??
As for the NF1 they didnt take it into consideration i have lots of cafe-ala (excuse the spelling) but i am not aware of any other masses is there particular areas they would apea?
Thankyou again.
 barney08 - Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:31 pm

also sorry what is the differnce between a fibroadinoma to a fibromiloma?
Thankyou.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:23 pm

I would really appreciate if you can write down the details of the pathology report as it is the print out. I can not be sure about the nature of these lumps unless more details are available.

Fibroadenoma of the breast is a benign tumour that results from proliferation of both glandular (of the galnds)and fibrous (stromal-connective tissue) elements. The same tumour may histopathologically show different amount of each element.

Typically the histopathology of neurofibromatosis is of nervous tissue origin and lack epithelial elements.

So the pathologist can differentiate between them by microscopic examination.

Hope you find this information useful.
Please keep us updated.

|