Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen Lymph Nodes

kjs923 - Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:22 pm

I am a 28 year old female, no history of disease, my grandfather had leukemia but other than that no other family history of any disease. The only medication I am currently on is Implanon for birth control. I do smoke, hardly ever drink and don't do drugs.
I am very thin, about 105-107 lbs & 5'4, I have been able to feel (and see the little bumps) lymph nodes in my groin area for about 6-8 yrs. They do not hurt, are rubbery and moveable and have not grown. I have been pointing them out to my Dr's for years. They all said I can only feel them because I am so thin. Last year a new Dr sent me to a surgeon who also said he wasn't concerned, they are within normal limits. However, he did find a thumb sized lymph node in my armpit which he removed last year. The tests came back normal and he said the node was basically "doing what it's supposed to do".
I have of course become extremely anxious about having lymphoma. I do occasionally have night sweats (over the last few months), but I do wear a lot of clothing to bed but I always have and this never happened before. Do you think I should push the issue with my doctor or do you think if there was something to be concerned about the lymph nodes would be enlarging/hardening/attaching or the one that was removed would've indicated something?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:12 am

It is common to have lymph node enlargement following infection or inflammation in the area drained by this lymph node group, they regress in size but never to normal size following recovery from infection or inflammation.

When suspicious, a biopsy is the best way to examine its nature and to exclude malignancy. Since it has been proven to be benign (reactionary to infections or inflammation), you can be reassured. Warning signs include increase in their number, size or when they become matted or fixed to the skin or to the underlying structures.

The presence of weight loss, night sweat and low grade fever, the so called B symptoms commonly seen in malignancies especially hematological ones are not specific or diagnostic.

Symptoms like night sweats although occur in malignancy like lymphoma, it is non specific and can occur with common infections, fatigue, stress or endocrine abnormalities.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor and to inform him with any symptoms, at least to be reassured.

Please keep us updated.
 nikkimh - Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:38 pm

OK i am new this form Ive try ed posting last night about whats going on with me but i cant seem to find were it went well ill try to make a long story short just in case i am not doing this right again ok i am a 26yr old female and for sometime now ive had swollen lymph nodes all over my body there on around my neck my armpits and both sides of my groin iam also very tired and cold all the time well they don't really bother me only sometimes i get a sharp pain in them then i rember there ther and it seem like theres more and more as times goes on and recently i have this knot on the back of my neck where my head attaches to my spin and for the past week ive been sweating when i sleep and that ussall never happens should i be concerned my family history is my fathers side they all died from cancer befor there 60

|