News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: very swollen and painful nodes in groin

dlb2612 - Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:53 pm

I have at least 2 very swollen and extremely painful lymph nodes in my groin. They are both on the right side, one is above the inguinal ligament and is about the size of a marble or acorn, the other is below the ligament and is slightly smaller than a golf ball. The pain started 7 days ago and has grown much worse over the last 3 days. I saw my family Dr. who had me go right to an ER where I had a CT scan that confirmed it was not a hernia but was the lymph nodes. I am now scheduled to see a surgeon in 10 days for further follow up but am quite worried now. I am adopted so I don't know a family medical history and both my family Dr. and the Dr. in the ER both seemed quite concerned with how large and painful the swollen areas were. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:24 pm

User avatar Hello,

The inguinal lymph nodes are situated in the crease between the leg and pelvis (more on the outside of that crease, i.e., laterally). They drain the penis, the scrotum, perineum, gluteal region, lower abdominal wall, and lower anal canal.

Common causes of enlargement include infections of the leg or foot, STDs (eg, herpes simplex virus, gonococcal infection), lymphoma, and pelvic malignancy.

In general, inguinal nodes larger than 1.5 cm should be considered abnormal. Pain is an indication for the presence of infection (inflammatory changes. This could be the primary cause of the lymph node enlargement or in association with an underlying another cause of lymph node enlargement. Exclusion of malignancy is essential based on the description you provided for these swellings.

The best way to recognize the nature of these swelling is by biopsy. Physicians usually prescribe antibiotics to minimize any associated infection while waiting for the results. CT scan of the chest, abdomen and pelvis may be needed when suspecting diseases that cause generalized lymph node enlargement like lymphoma, some infectious diseases, immune responses or storage diseases.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor.
Hope you find this information useful.
Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here