Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: Could low potassium,lump by left rib be leukemia?

grace7 - Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:46 am

I have experienced extreme fatigue for the last couple of months. I was told that my bloodwork showed low potassium (2.6-Sept. 2008) and my thyroid has went from hypo to hyper. I also have a lump by my left rib. Also, not sure if it is related, I have swelling behind both knees. I am only 36 and my muscles ache and my joints pop all the time.

Thank you.

Grace7
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:35 pm

First off, this would not be symptoms of leukemia in and of themselves but can be symptoms of many conditions. The lump could be a swollen lymph node which your body uses to fight infection of any type. You should talk to a doctor about the fatigue because that symptom alone is not enough to diagnose. I assume you are doing that since you had blood work done.

Thyroid can fluctuate when the gland is not functioning properly and this can be a cause of the fatigue. I don't know what is causing the swelling behind your knees - again you need to see a doctor to determine the cause. Popping joints happen to everyone and some people do get this more frequently than others. There is a vacuum that is created in the synovial joints when the fluid fluctuates. It is nothing to worry about.

Achy muscles can be a sign of fibromyalgia (as well as other conditions).
Try moderate exercise. But, it can also result from low potassium, which can also result in fatigue. You might try adding potassium rich foods to your diet such as
* Bananas
* Bran
* Brussels sprouts
* Granola
* Kiwi
* Lima beans
* Milk
* Oranges
* Peaches
* Peanut butter
* Peas and beans
* Tomatoes

Best wishes

|