Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: lump on shaft of penis

matt316 - Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:48 pm

Hey,

About two weeks ago a found a small firm lump on the bottom part of the shaft on my penis. It is the same color of my penis. I am white male 19. I have been sexually active and i currently am with my girlfriend. The lump is painless. I have no burning when i pee or while after i ejaculate. My fluids are the normal color. The lump seems to grow after I masturbate or have sex but then dies back down. When i massage the lump it goes a way for a bit then comes back. Could this be cancer?

Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:24 am

It is very difficult to tell what this lump could be without direct clinical examination.

Possibilities are many and include:
- Dermatitis that can be due to infections, allergies, and irritants (such as soaps, certain creams).

Dermatitis can occur due to contact with an allergen or irritant (is more likely according to your description) like soap, creams, synthetic cloth, or after vigorous sexual intercourse or masturbation.
Other causes of dermatitis like infection with Herpes simplex or friction and fungus that occurs mainly Obese and active people are less likely.

- Another cause could be folliculitis which is due to infection and inflammation at the hair follicles.
- Sebaceous cyst (fat glands) when blocked form a lump that can be easily felt too.

- Cancer of the penis is not common and typically the lesion does not grow and decline in size as you described but is usually of a progressive course but direct clinical examination is needed for exclusion.

As you can see direct clinical examination is essential, so I would advise you to follow up with your doctor for proper management and exclusion of serious causes.
Please keep us updated.

|