News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: I have a lump on the back of my head, any help pls?

samgibbs - Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:09 pm

A few days ago I woke in the morning to find a sore lump on my head. It is at the back of the head, on the left side, on the skull bone, just up from the neck. There is no bruise there as I have had my husband to check for me. I don't recall banging it in the night either. The lump has gotten a little larger and a bit more tender since it appeared. Do you know what it is? I am getting a little worried. Thank you
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:25 pm

User avatar Hello,

This is probably a lymph node enlargement. Lymph nodes in this area get enlarged when inflammation or infection occurs in the area drained by them like the scalp,the skin of the neck, and the ear.

Pain and tenderness are commonly seen when the lymph nodes are infected or inflamed. This may be the sole cause (primary) of the node enlargement or in association with another underlying primary cause.

Small lymph nodes <1cm that are mobile, soft to firm are usually reactionary to these inflammatory conditions and are not alarming as they regress when inflammation subsides but do not disappear. While nodes that continue to grow are of concern and need to be investigated properly.

In general physician prescribe antibiotics and follow up in a week or two, if they persist in a considerable size or increase, biopsy is recommended to exclude serious causes like malignancy.

Other causes of swelling in this area is follicles, an inflammation in the hair follicles, or lipoma (benign tumor of fat tissue).

I would advise you to seek direct medical consultation.

Hope you find this information useful.
Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here