Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lump under jaw, not sure what it is! 15 year old male.

Bruffy - Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:59 am

Ok I have a lump under my jaw on the right hand-side I can move it around and its under the skin heres a picture I found whic were it says "swollen glands" is were roughly the lump is at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... e/9833.jpg

Im not sure what to do my sister who is 19 says she has had it before but it goes afer awhile, but im really scared!

Thanks for your time and help!

Jarrad,
Male,
15.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:10 am

According to the picture you sent this would be a submandibular gland. This is probably a lymph node it occurs in a lymph node region, however this must be confirmed by your physician.

There are many aspects involved in the assessment of lymph node enlargement. First, whether this is in fact the only lymph node that is enlarged. Your doctor needs to check other lymph node areas to make sure. Also, whether you have any systemic symptoms such as fever, drenching night sweats or weight loss.

Second, certain aspects such as the size of the lymph node, whether it's painful, appears inflamed and the site all give clues as to whether the condition is probably benign.

Usually lymph nodes less than 1cm in diameter are not concerning. Infected Lymph nodes tend to be firm, tender, enlarged and warm. Inflammation can spread to the overlying skin, causing it to appear reddened.

The submandibular lymph glands drain the tongue, submaxillary gland, lips and mouth, conjunctivae. Common causes of enlargement include infections of head, neck, sinuses, ears, eyes, scalp, pharynx. They may also be felt in normal individuals, along with axillary and inguinal lymph glands.

Please have it checked and keep us updated.

|