Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Male breast lump

dansta92 - Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:23 am

Hi, I'm a guy and I have a small lump less than .5cm in diametre and it is hardly noticable. It is on my chest near my left niple. It feels hard to touch and appears to have a black head/dot on it. It's been there for over a few weeks possibly months but has never caused any pain. Should I get it checked out or is it most likely just another lump or pimple.

I'm not big but have larger breasts than most men if that would affect anything.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:26 am

If this is a dermatological condition such as a pimple, it will go away on its own in a while. If not, it's always safest to have it checked out. You could start with your family doctor. If there is any cause for alarm, a referral to a specialist would be made. Men do get breast cancer, though much more rarely than women, so true lumps should not be ignored. Chances are that it is something temporary and harmless but it's best to be safe so after giving it time to resolve, check with your doctor.

Good luck
 dansta92 - Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:34 am

Okay,

How long should I wait? I'm not really sure how long it's been there. I think it may have been there a while I just didnt pay attension to it, but I prodded and poked it and now it's really sore to touch, though it feels like a differnt sore than just a pimple. It almost feels like a bite or an infection, but I'm sure it's been there for more than a week, and I would have thought by then a bite would have gone away.

Also this may me a rumour but I heard that sometimes with certain cancers, lumps apear, go away then come back again possibly worse, I for skin cancer but is this true or if it goes away do I not have to worry anymore?

Thanks :)
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:11 am

User avatar Hi dansta92,
The nodule that you are describing could be a sebaceous cyst or an enlarged Montgomery's tubercle(usually enlarges in women during pregnancy and lactation).You say that yor breasts are larger than usual-this raises the question whether you have gynecomastia(considering your age).This is due to an imbalance of the male/female sex hormones- which can theoratically at least cause an enlargement of the Montgomery's tubercle(whether these tubercles exist in males is disputed).
The only case report of this entity
occurring in a male patient was published by Farina et al. in
1996. (Farina MC, Soriano ML, Escalonilla P, Pique E, Martin
L, Barat A, et al. Unilateral areolar sebaceous hyperplasia
in a male. Am J Dermatopathol 1996; 18: 417 – 419.)

These authors state that areolar sebaceous
hyperplasia may represent hyperplasia of Montgomery
tubercules.
(Pl Note:I have only included this detailed info for the sake of completion).

I hope this information may be useful to you.
 dansta92 - Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:24 am

Hello Dr. Kamath.

I am very grateful you have taken the time to respond however the issue has since been resolved. But thank you so much for replying anyways. I went to the doctor and got a biopsy (it was his advice). Turns out.... it was an ingrown hair.... I now have an unattractive scar the size of an M&M because I worry too much. I suppose I did the right thing, but it seems a bit bizzarr something so simpled needed to be chopped out, that there was no other way. But alas, I shouldn't rant I like my Doctor very much.

Thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:45 am

User avatar Hi dansta92,
I know that my reply to your post was belated! I am a recent member of the 'Doctors lounge' team!
I guess from your description that you had a pilonidal sinus.It is a very rare location for this condition.I have read one article in the medical literature about a woman who ran a pet grooming shop who was afflicted by this condition affecting her breast.
Thank you very much for remembering to write to me.Glad you have done well.
 silvasa - Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:14 pm

dansta92 wrote:Hi, I'm a guy and I have a small lump less than .5cm in diametre and it is hardly noticable. It is on my chest near my left niple. It feels hard to touch and appears to have a black head/dot on it. It's been there for over a few weeks possibly months but has never caused any pain. Should I get it checked out or is it most likely just another lump or pimple.

I think don't waste your time its better to meet the doctor as soon as possible.Its something which can create problem.did you notice any changes in that particular area or colour changes anything which should be observed.explain each and everything to your doctor.

|