News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Brain Tumors

Question: I have a protuberance in the left side of my skull

cr1stina - Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:49 pm

Hello,
I have a protuberance in the left side of my skull, about 2 inches above my ear, it feels like a bump, though I haven´t hit my head nor had any traumas there. I have felt it before, but now I think it might be growing. It does not have a big size, though it can be particularily felt.
What should I do? Is this something I have to be worried about?
Thank you for you help
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:08 pm

User avatar Hello,

Diagnosis of any swelling mandates direct clinical examination. Diagnosis of any lump would be easier when associated symptoms and signs are present. Characters of the swelling like mobility, tenderness, pain, consistency (soft, firm or hard) and any systemic symptoms like fever and weight loss are very important too.
However, at this site it could be of bone origin or soft tissue origin.
Bony swellings are fixed and hard in consistency. This might be the result of any old trauma that when healed formed this swelling or from tumors.

Soft tissue swellings like:
- Folliculitis which is inflammation of the hair follicle forming a swelling that is soft to firm, painful or tender, warm and may decline in size or disappear after recovery from the infection.

- Lipoma, a benign tumour of the fat cell that is felt soft mobile and not painful or tender unless inflamed and it becomes bigger in size too.

- Sebaceous gland (fat secreting gland) when blocked forms a swelling that is soft to firm, may be painful and increase in size when inflamed.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor, he might request an X-ray of the skull if any bone lesions is suspected.
Pleas keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here