Forum Name: Skin Cancer

Question: Sebaceous cyst changing

mabel - Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:21 pm

Hello
i have had a small, white, raised lump on my back for about 2yrs. It was the size of a pencil eraser. Within the last 2 weeks it has gotten bigger, with the white spot staying the same size. It has grown more and more tender in the last 48 hrs and it is red around the white spot. i seen my doc for annual physical 2days ago and she said it was a sebaceous cyst that I could get removed if I wanted to, but not to worry about it. Any advice would be appreciated.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:34 pm

This sounds like the cyst you have in your back is infected and inflamed. When inflammation occurs it becomes more swollen, red, painful and tender (abscess like). The skin around may feel warm and you may have a low grade fever.

This can be improved if you follow local antiseptic measure and apply local antibiotic ointment.

If this will not improve the condition, you should follow up with your doctor, who might prescribe systemic antibiotics or recommend its removal or drainage accordingly.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor and to discuss with her your concerns.

Please keep us updated.

|