Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: swollen tonsil and now swollen lymph nodes

adam23 - Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:17 am

this all started about 3-4 months ago when after a night of heavy drinking an smoking and my throat felt like it was so dry that it was on fire ( my left one was normal ). over the next month or month and a half it grew slightly larger (to the size of a grape almost) with a white chalkey substance in it and then all the sudden the tonsil shrunk back down to almost normal size again without any medication (possibly over a few nights spand at most if i remember correctly). afterwards, a couple weeks later (2 months ago about) i felt my right jugular lymph node was swollen. I then went to the doctor a month ago and he prescribed a bunch of medication which did not work. After another hard night of drinking and smoking (4 days ago and yeah im taking this as a sign to stop doing what im doing) my right jugular lymph node is huge (about a the size of a dime) and my left submandilar, the one under your chin if i got it right, is huge as well and new i believe. the jugular node is movable and hard feeling and the submandilar, again if its right, feels very squishy. after my neck nodes swelled up 4 days ago my throat has been aching badly and ive been having this chill feeling in it ( when i say aching i don't man soar throat, i mean like an achin muscle almost ) now i cant imagine that my social habits don't have anything to do with this but what is going on, my CT scan showed swollen lymph nodes, i had a camera down my throat twice, which saw nothing except an agitated voice box (only the first camera show it agitated) but ive never heard of anything ( including my resident brother) that would make my tonsil swell as much as it did and make my nodes swell as much as they are without relieve from it for such an extended time, i mean my doctor even gave me anti inflammatory steroid that did nothing. Is all this most likely 100 PCT of my social habits or is it my social habits irritating something else that needs to be taken care of also?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:44 am

The occurrence of a swelling in a lymph node region is most probably a lymph gland but this needs to be checked by a doctor. As you know the most common cause of lymph gland enlargement is infection. The fact that you had a throat infection supports this assumption. Again, infections of the throat tend to drain to level II lymph nodes which include the superior jugular lymph node group.

All that said, the fact that it keeps recurring is reason enough to keep tracking it. Follow up with your doctor to rule out anything nasty.

|