Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: Discomfort on sitting, lump on anus?

YFZRider_22 - Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:32 pm

Last night I was having slight discomfort when I was sitting down. A few hours later, it had reached the point where it was decently painful. I checked and I have a small (little larger than pea-sized) lump on my anus. I don't know what to think, I am not even quite 18 and I've never smoked or anything. Is it a hemmorhoid? I will admit that have had bad bowel habits for a while now. I rarely have them... probably once every 2 days, and I don't get much fiber. Is there are way to tell with decent accuracy if it is a hemmorhoid? I know that you can't accurately diagnose anything over the net, but I don't want to be worried about something that doesn't need to be worried about. I know that I have no reason to be, but I am kind of emberassed and don't want to mention it to anyone. I can't drive, or I would go to the doctor myself and have it checked out. If it doesn't get better soon, I will tell my father and go to the doctor. It's not worth leaving to chance. I think it is getting less painful... but I have never heard of anybody my age having anything like this. How long do hemmerhoids take to dissapear? And will it reoccur? Sorry for the incredibly long post, just trying to make sure I get everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:11 am

As you said, diagnosis over the net is impossible (and could be dangerous). As we state on this website, the information we provide is designed to support, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his physician.

The description of your problem is very suggestive of a condition known as thrombosed external haemorrhoid (also known as a perianal haematoma). This presents as a pea-sized (0.5-1.0cm), tense and painful lump just outside the anal verge which may resolve spontaneously within a week and become harmless skin tags. If it does not, you must see a rectal surgeon who has to make sure that it is not a thrombosed internal haemorrhoid which has prolapsed from higher up. You do not mention bleeding, and internal haemorrhoids are the commonest cause of rectal bleeding and are usually painless. If the diagnosis is a perianal haematoma and does not resolve spontaneously, the surgeon (or any experienced doctor) will perform a very simple procedure to squeeze out the contents of the lump – this gives immediate relief. You said you would go to the doctor if you could drive. Please ask your father to take you because that visit will be reassuring.

You must improve on your bowel habits. Constipation with prolonged straining predisposes to internal and external haemorrhoids (and more serious diseases on a long term). High-fibre diet, adequate fluid intake and daily exercise are necessary for a healthy bowel habit.

Thank you for contacting our website. Please update us if a doctor examines you and makes a diagnosis.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

|