Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Pinching feeling in left breast.

andi25 - Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:52 pm

This morning I woke up with a pinching feeling inside my left breast. The pain is between the nipple and the armpit and feels deep inside. It hurt moderately this morning and now (12:30pm) it hurts mildly only when i lift my arm or press on my breast. Is this a sign of something? I did a breast self exam and felt nothing unusual. Should I be concerned? What could the cause of this pain be?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:01 pm

It would be more helpful if you can provide us more information about your personal, medical, and family history.

For example if you are in the premenstrual period this is considered physiological (cyclic pain) and is expected to improve few days after the onset of menstruation.

Non cyclic pain could be due to any of the following:
If you are on any type of hormonal therapy, this may indicate an effect of these hormones on the breast and a follow up with your doctor is essential.

If there is a family history of breast cancer, you should be checked by your doctor too. Breast tumors may present with pain.

If a history of recent trauma is resent, this could explain the pain.

Pain in the breast could be radiating pain from the chest wall (muscle pain) or nerve affection (neuralgia).

In any case if the pain persists you better follow up with your doctor to exclude any serious cause.

Please keep us updated.
 andi25 - Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:13 pm

I have no family history of breast cancer. I am not on any hormones. I finished my period about 5 days ago. There has been no recent injuries. I'm 28 years old. In any case, I have made an appointment at 3pm tomorrow. Is it too early to get a mammogram? Am I too young?

|