Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Determination of What Type of Lymphoma

Kolina - Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:59 pm

I have been recently diagnosed with Lymphoma. It has been 18 days since my biopsy on the rt. axcillar and rt inguinal lymph nodes and the preliminary report, which took one week, inidicates lymphoma, however, being in Hawaii, I was told that my specimen has been sent to the mainland to determine as to what type of Lymphoma I have. The waiting is very frustrating and scary, as my lumps have gotten larger (golf ball size) and painful. Being In Hawaii, do you know how long these testings should take?

Thank you,
Kolina
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:58 am

Sorry for the late reply. I hope by now that you have received your pathology report and that you are past the stage where you are waiting for a diagnosis. A pathology report can take anything between 7-10 days. It depends on whether the samples are adequate, whether the pathologist needs more info and the number of stains required in the differential diagnosis.

Please keep us updated.
 Kolina - Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:18 am

Today is December 2nd...and still no report. I have done a PETScan and will be doing a bone marrow biopsy soon...but still no report and no schedule treatment. PETScan indicates that the lypmphoma is in the abdoment. This has been frustrating and very upsetting.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:17 am

User avatar I understand your frustration. Several things you should consider at this stage - will you be treated in Hawaii or will you be referred to another hospital? What about finances? I'm just suggesting you get everything else sorted out while you are waiting so that as soon as the pathology report is in you know what to do. Has your doctor provided any explanation for the long delay? Have you contacted the lab and requested to speak to the pathologist? ... I wish I could help more.

Please keep me updated.

|