News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: Rate of growth of rectal adeno-carcinoma

Jupiter - Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:34 am

My 60 yr. old brother on colonoscopy in 2007 was found to have a 3 by 4 cm. adenocarcinoma. It went into a little of the muscle layer,

What is the rate of growth of this kind of cancer ? How long could it have been there ?

It wasn't on a polip, but the cancer was flat. One doctor said it could have started two years prior. That seems awfully fast to me. He called it a "doubling time".

What's the truth on its' speed of growth ?

Thank you.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:41 pm

User avatar Hello,

Please provide us with the exact results of his pathologic study as written in his report as well as the type of the operation and postsurgical treatment if any was given.

I guess you meant that he had a tumor of the rectum that was invading the superficial muscle layer. This according to Tumor Node Metastases TNM classification is T2 and if he was node negative so N0 (more likely at this stage), and obviously no metastasis so M0.

Thus, by TNM staging he has stage I disease (T2N0M0).
Treatment option for those patients include local excision when they have a small (< 3-4 cm), well to moderately differentiated T1 rectal cancer mass with no lymphovascular involvement on histopathology, as long as a full-thickness negative margin can be obtained.

Patients with stage I have excellent long term survival and local control, with five-year local control rates ranging from 82 to 97%, and recurrence-free survival rates of >90 percent.

Close follow up with his doctor is essential, as early diagnosis of local recurrence can keep his chances in achieving another long term disease control.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.
 Jupiter - Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:15 am

Wow !! That sounds right. I'll get the records from him in two days. BUT my question was not about the future,,, I wanted to know who long that tumor has been there.... its growth rate.

Would it have been there flat for a year ? Two years ?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here