News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Small mass found under arm - breast cancer?

CharacterMatters - Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:56 am

Hi There,

45 y/0 very healthy and health conscious white female. I was shaving under my arms when I noticed on the side of my body, about one hand's length directly down from my arm pit, a raised portion of skin. When I felt it, it didn't hurt, but seemed to be bit larger than a quarter sized area of soft tissue mass. It is not hard, but soft and seems denseish. From certain angles in the mirror, I can't even find it. However, it is clearly raised skin at one angle.

I will make an appointment Monday, however, I want to be reassured it isn't anything.

Many Thanks,
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:47 am

User avatar Hello,
It is difficult to tell what this swelling could be without direct clinical examination.
But according to your description at this site, this could be of lymph node, a breast tissue in the axially tail, or a fat tissue origin.

Some females have an extension of their breast tissue in the axillary tail that is felt more or less like a lump of a consistency similar to the breast and is usually painless. It is not a pathologic condition and needs no intervention.

Subcutaneous fat in this area could also give similar clinical picture and sometimes excess fat deposition in this area is not bilateral.

Lymph node enragement in the axilla commonly occurs following infection and inflammation in the area drained by them like the upper limb and skin of upper chest wall and they remain palpable after recovery although they regress in size.

Lymph node enlargement may occur also in females due to physiological changes in their breast (fibroadenosis). In both conditions lymph nodes are small <1cm, mobile, soft to firm and painless.

Direct clinical examination of the mass and the breast will allow the identification of possible causes and guide further investigations for exclusion of serious conditions like cancer.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here