News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: large soft numb lump on bottom of Left Rib

McRib - Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:47 pm

For about 2 months I have had a lump form on the bottom area of left rib cage. The skin is numb to touch, like the feeling you get when getting a tooth numb. I have a deep itching but scratching does not satisfy it because of the numb skin feeling. Their is NO Pain but this numbness does extend into my back. Although there are currently no lumps on my back. Should I be concerned. I have no insurance, just concerned if any lymph nodes are in the area to be worried about or maybe just a pinched nerve.
 McRib - Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:43 am

Not anyone have a clue yet why I have this numbness?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:08 pm

User avatar Hello,
Diagnosis of any lump is easier when associated symptoms or signs exist and with direct clinical examination possible causes can be suggested.

Swelling in this part can be of soft tissue or bone origin.
Bone swellings are hard and fixed (not mobile). It might result from a healed fracture or de novo. An X-ray on the chest wall would show the mass.

Soft tissue mass is soft to firm usually mobile. Examples of soft tissue mass in this area is lipoma, a benign tumor from fat cells that is mobile, sliding like, soft to firm and is usually painless.

They like any swelling may cause compression symptoms. Based on the underlying structures compression symptoms would occur, e.g. nerve compression would result in numbness and tingling sensation.

Investigations include CT scan of the chest and upper abdomen. Biopsy may be needed to define the nature of the swelling.

Exclusion of viral infection like herpes zoster is essential, it may initially present with numbness and tingling before vesicles appear.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor. If there is a mass causing compression, early intervention is essential.
Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here