Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Streaks of Blood and Mucus in Stool for 3 yrs

blairs - Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:58 pm

I am 23 yr old female. I walk 2-3 miles a day, and try to do cardio often. I never had any medical problems. I have been having streaks of blood and my stool for 3 yrs. It isnt every time, but often. I notice it more often when I have problems going. Someitmes, when its hard to come out I have blood and mucus mixed. I have been to scaried to go to the doctore b.c of the thought of cancer, but now I am tired of worrying myself to death. Does it sound like I have cancer, or what could it be. I increased my intake of fiber, and I go at least once a day now, like I said blood is in it still, but not every time. Most of the time when its easy to go and shoots out there is no problem. My stool is either hard to come out or comes straiget out in one big piece. My family has no colon cancer in it, but we do have problems with constipation. I would like to know what you think asap please. I am scaried to death. Being its been going on for 3 yrs is what is so scary for me. I feel more tired now. I don't have pain, but sometimes when I havent went a day or 2 I can actually feel on my stomach and feel on the lower left side the poo, once I go that lump goes away. Why do I have blood and mucus, and what is wrong, please help. Thanks so much.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:11 pm

In general Fresh Blood in stools are usually is due to lower gastrointestinal GI bleeding.

Causes include
- Hemorrhoids or piles, they represent the most common cause of lower GI bleeding, and are easy to be diagnosed by direct clinical examination.
This is more likely to be the cause in your case since it is also more common in individuals with chronic constipation. Hard stools cause injury of the blood vessels so blood streaks would appear.

Anorectal fissures as well can result in Bleeding per rectum and is easily diagnosed by direct clinical examination too. However, it is similar to piles but a more painful condition.

- Inflammation of the mucosa lining the rectum or the rectum and colon a condition known as proctitis or proctocolitis respectively.
These conditions are either due to infectious diseases or non infectious disease as a part of Inflammatory bowel disease (including Crohn's disease and Ulcerative colitis). But these conditions are usually associated with diarrhea and if left untreated loss of weight occurs.

Diagnostic tests include stool analysis to check for parasites and protozoa. Segmoidoscopy may be needed.

- Physician should always exclude serious causes while investigating for GI bleeding regardless how likely it could be. So, cancer is on of the causes to be excluded although not common at your age group and do not usually remain without progression for three years after it already symptomatized (bleeding). It is also usually associated with changes in the bowel habit.

- Irritable bowel syndrome IBS, can be considered when all other causes are excluded although rarely associated with bleeding per rectum.

Hope you find this information useful.
I would advise you to follow up with your doctor, he might recommend a CBC, and stool analysis.

Please keep us updated.
 blairs - Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:28 pm

Thank you so much. Just your answer has helped relieve my thoughts of dying a lot. I am schedule to have a colonsopy Dec 8th. I will let you know how that goes. Again, thank you so much for answering my question.

|