Forum Name: Testicular Cancer

Question: Lump in his testicular sac

auburnymist - Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:52 am

My husband just found out that his father has had a lump in his testicular sac for over a year. He has not been able to have any kind of sexual activity for over a year because of the pain. He refuses to go to the doctor to have it checked out. My mother-in-law says that now the lump has burst and my father-in-law has begun to lose weight, and he's not an overweight man anyways. He's been hiding his weigh loss from everyone and refuses to tell anyone. My mother-in-law would be in big trouble if my father-in-law knew that my husband knows. Anyways, we would like to know if this sounds like testicular cancer and how bad is it that the lump has burst. Is that common for the lump to burst? My father-in-law doesn't have any pain urinating or anything like that. It's just painful to get an erection and to ejaculate. I noticed on another website regarding testicular cancer that lower-back and hip pain is common as well. I think he's been having back problems for a while but I'm not sure if it's related or not, but thought I'd mention it just in case. We are really worried and thought that we'd do some research first before confronting him about this. We'd like to knowledgeable when we talk to him. Thank you for your help.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:15 am

User avatar Hi auburnymist,
It would be dificult to say yes or no regarding whether or not this is testicular cancer without doing some blood tests, biopsy etc. There are benign as well as malignant testicular masses but a mass alone without any other symptoms would warrant an evaluation by the doctor. Here is some general information on testicular cancer.
Some of the symptoms are:
A lump or mass in either testicle
Any enlargement or swelling of a testicle
A collection of fluid in the scrotum
A dull ache in the lower abdomen, back, or in the groin
A feeling of heaviness in the scrotum
Discomfort or pain in a testicle or in the scrotum
Enlargement or tenderness of the breasts
Weight loss
A frequent symptom of later stage testicular cancer is lower back pain because the disease has spread to the lymph nodes in the posterior part of the abdomen. If the cancer has spread to the lungs, cough, chest pain, or shortness of breath can occur, as well as blood in the sputum.
As for a tumor rupturing, the cases of testicular cancer that I've seen has primarily been in the earlier stages. It is possible however, that a tumor can erode through any area of the body. Taking into consideration to the fact that he has been having symptoms for such an extended period of time
I strongly urge you to confront him and encourage him to be evaluated by his physicianI hope this small amount of information is helpful to you.
 auburnymist - Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:40 am

Thank you so much for your reply. I've read all the symptoms that you described, but none of them mention anything about painful sex, which has me a little baffled. Also, as a clarification, I found out after I posted that my father-in-law felt something burst in his testicular sac and then the lump appeared. Apparently the lump is still there and that he felt the burst over a year ago just prior to the lump appearing. So I don't know if that tells you anything of importance or not.

My husband has told all his brothers and sister and at Christmas we are planning on confronting my father-in-law and hopefully will be able to get him in to see an urologist while they are in town. My sister-in-law has already set up an appointment with the urologist just in case my father-in-law agrees to cooperate and go get checked out. Please keep your fingers crossed that we'll be able to convince him to get checked out, if not for his sake, at least for his wife and children so we'll all know what we're dealing with and if he doesn't want to have it treated, then how long he's got, if that becomes an issue. The last thing we want is to not know anything, then heaven forbid, that he dies suddenly from what he has and my mother-in-law is left alone in Ohio, with no means of income and no place to live. At least if he finds out what's wrong and if deadly and he decides not to do anything about it, we'll have time to plan for my mother-in-law and for the funeral expenses. I have a feeling that my father-in-law will refuse to have any kind of surgery even if it would save his life. He's terrified of doctors and hospitals. Needless to say, this whole ordeal has us all upset and worried sick.

Thanks again for your reply.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:20 am

User avatar Hi auburnymist,
Please keep in mind that there are other diseases and conditions can produce testicular lumps. These may include:
Scrotal masses. These masses (benign as well as malignant) made up of fluid or solid material in, on or around the testicles — may be caused by cysts, inflammations, physical injury or hernia.
Epididymitis. This inflammation affects the tubes that transport sperm. (very painful)
Hydrocele. This soft and usually painless swelling in the scrotum is due to a collection of watery fluid.
Spermatocele. This type of cyst is formed by blockage in the tubes that transport sperm.
Varicocele. This swelling in the scrotum is caused by enlarged veins.
Orchitis. This inflammation of the testicle is often due to bacterial infection or the mumps virus.
I would have to suspect that with testicular cancer as well as many other conditions there would also be painful intercourse even if it is not something specifically listed under signs and symptoms.
Since his condition is long standing I again encourage an evaluation. Whether or not he elects for treatment or not (if in the event it is cancer) is entirely up to him.I will say a prayer and keep my fingers crossed as well. It's better to know and be prepared than wonder and worry. I hope all works out for you and yours and I wish you the very best :)
 auburnymist - Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:50 pm

I appreciate you saying a prayer more than you'll ever know. I've read up on all the other types of causes for masses as well. I'm just praying that it's not cancer and that it is simply a benign mass that can be treated very easily. The weigh loss has me concerned more than anything, I guess, because of the fact that a woman at our church got cancer and she started losing weight even though she was eating all the time, which is what caused her to go to the doctor, which led to her finding out that she had cancer. She was like my father-in-law in that she didn't like going to the doctor and had not been to the doctor ever. So, with my father-in-law losing weight like he is all the sudden, it has me a bit concerned, especially since he doesn't have hardly any extra weight that he can afford to lose. But please keep him and his family in your prayers and hopefully the Lord will help work things out to where my father-in-law at least agrees to find out what's wrong, even if he chooses not to get treatment. Thanks again for all your help and your prayers.

Have a wonderful Christmas and a Blessed New Years.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:13 pm

User avatar auburnymist,
The weight loss has me somewhat concerned as well. I will keep him & his as well as you & yours in my prayers for you to have knowledge, guidance, and peace.
Please keep me posted.
Thank you :D I wish you a Wonderful Christmas and Blessed New Years as well!
Theresa

|