News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: breast recontruction

skeeter - Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:36 am

In 1997 I had a lumpectomy and some lymph nodes removed, as the years have gone by my breast has become increasingly smaller than my left breast.

I was told by a doctor that breast reconstruction would not heal properly because of radiation is this true? It is impossible to find a bra that fits good. Can you help me?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:38 pm

User avatar Hello,

It is true that tissues previously exposed to radiation tend to interfere with certain types of reconstruction based on implant induced tissue expansion.

However delayed (post-RT) reconstructive surgery can be done using normal skin flaps in place of the radiated skin. The possibility to do in your case would need a consultation of a plastic surgeon who is experienced in breast reconstruction for patients with irradiated tissues.

The plastic surgeon is more aware whether this is applicable or not in each specific case.

There are different types of breast prosthesis and bras that may be helpful and may be supplied by different nonprofit organizations. You better also ask for an advice about this issue from your doctor.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here