Forum Name: Prostate Cancer

Question: Can't Find The Cancer

sammy14 - Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:24 pm

Hello, my father had prostate cancer about 9 years ago and he had 2 choices, remove the prostate or get chemo. He chose removal.

Now he was told about a year ago from blood work that he has cancer again but they could not locate where it was at. He has had a MRI and a Cat scan, still no luck.

His numbers started off at a 2 when first diagnosed now after a year they are a 10.The doctor mentioned taking Estrogen but he said he could only live with one female in the house verses two!

Is there not any technology out there to find where his cancer is? Someone mentioned to me before about a Pet scan. Can you tell me a little about this scan or any other technology out there to help him?

Thank you,
Sammy
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:43 am

I am sorry to hear about your father.

When the PSA increases to the levels your father has it is more likely that he has metastasis. According to your description a local recurrence has been excluded by CT/MRI. Has he had a bone scan done? The bone is one of the most common sites of spread in prostate cancer.

A PET scan is a functional scan that is very sensitive for detecting the presence of cancer. There may be a role for PET scanning if your father's work up (including bone scan) is negative.

sammy14 - Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:01 pm

Thanks for the good info! I have scheduled an appointment with a Doctor here in the Bay Area for a bone scan to start. I was frustrated because they told him they couldn't find the cancer but be happy he lived a good life. I can't except that. So thanks again!

Sammy

|