News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Prostate Cancer

Question: Can't Find The Cancer

sammy14 - Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:24 pm

Hello, my father had prostate cancer about 9 years ago and he had 2 choices, remove the prostate or get chemo. He chose removal.

Now he was told about a year ago from blood work that he has cancer again but they could not locate where it was at. He has had a MRI and a Cat scan, still no luck.

His numbers started off at a 2 when first diagnosed now after a year they are a 10.The doctor mentioned taking Estrogen but he said he could only live with one female in the house verses two!

Is there not any technology out there to find where his cancer is? Someone mentioned to me before about a Pet scan. Can you tell me a little about this scan or any other technology out there to help him?

Thank you,
Sammy
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:43 am

User avatar Hi,
I am sorry to hear about your father.

When the PSA increases to the levels your father has it is more likely that he has metastasis. According to your description a local recurrence has been excluded by CT/MRI. Has he had a bone scan done? The bone is one of the most common sites of spread in prostate cancer.

A PET scan is a functional scan that is very sensitive for detecting the presence of cancer. There may be a role for PET scanning if your father's work up (including bone scan) is negative.

Best regards,
 sammy14 - Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:01 pm

Thanks for the good info! I have scheduled an appointment with a Doctor here in the Bay Area for a bone scan to start. I was frustrated because they told him they couldn't find the cancer but be happy he lived a good life. I can't except that. So thanks again!

Sammy

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here