News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: Chest pains, difficulty breathing

klee14 - Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:03 pm

I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum section, but since there's hasn't been a proper diagnosis, I'm not really sure what the problem is. This is just me taking a guess.

My father, almost 60 now, has been a smoker for most of his life. He probably has 6 - 8 a day. Some days more, some less.

Recently, he's been complaining of sudden chest pains. Like a tightening or constricting pain. He says it hinders his breathing for a few minutes. Also, the pain extends to his upper back. Before, this pain would occur for a couple of minutes. A few hours ago, it lasted at least 15 minutes. In addition, he'll have small fits of coughing throughout the day.

I figure it's either his lungs or maybe a problem with his heart, considering the chest pains. But, of course, I don't really know. Any help would be incredibly appreciated. Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:46 pm

User avatar Hello,

In light of his smoking history and age, the next step would be a physical examination. The doctor may request a chest x-ray based on his evaluation. This should help determine the cause.

Smokers usually have what is known as a smoker's cough. Any change in the character, timing of the cough is significant and should prompt for an evaluation. If this pain is exertional (related to effort) then it could suggest a heart origin albeit with an atypical presentation (again smoking puts him at risk).

Please have him undergo a checkup ASAP!

Keep us updated.
 Ravin - Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:14 am

Hi Dr. Tamer Fouad,

I have a Chest pain. when i get up from sleep. I go to the wash basin and spit. I see Blood stains.
This happens during morning. when i try to split in the washroom . i see blood.
I don't smoke, Drink, or involved in any bad activities.

I had visited the doctor 2 months back, He told me that it is one of the symtomps of Lung cancer.
I'm not sure.
when i keep my hand near the chest and sleep. in the midnight i feel my hand is heavy.
sometimes i forget to breath properly and once realise, i take long breath.

is there any problem with my body .
I am able to run faster than a normal corprate employee.
some times i get a mild headache. so i drink tea ( rarely or twice in a week or once in a blue moon )

please suggest me,
what are the steps that i need to take.
what should i do and what type of doctor i need to consult and medicate.

Thank you,
Ravi N S
 cait28 - Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:06 pm

hi doctor,

I am a 28-year old female. since 3 months ago i felt sudden shortness of breath and sharp pains in my left chest just above my breast and just below my armpits. It is also accompanied with reflux.I also have episodes of headaches and i feel pain in my left arm and leg. Mostly i wake at dawn with my left arm in cramps. I have felt a very little lump in my neck.

I have had my blood chemistry checked (creatinine, uric, Lipid profile) and i have had Chest X-ray (ALV and AP) also i have had 2D Echocardiogram of the heart and all results says i'm fine.The doctor gave me antacids. Now the reflux is gone but the shortness of breath still remains and so the chest pains .

I don't drink or smoke but i feel paranoid because i have known somebody not smoking and drinking but died with lung cancer..i can't help but think worst things.My Father was a smoker.He died almost 3 years ago of lung cancer. My father also had negative result on his chest x-ray despite his illness before. I have seen how the doctor felt the lump in my father's neck that she required an immediate CT SCAN. I am really afraid. I am a depressive person and i have been going to a neuro-psych before because of my anxiety. I want to think i'm just being paranoid but i find it hard to convince myself..please help me understand doctor. Should i really be nervous about what i feel?or is it my anxiety and my being paranoid making my shortness of breath severe?

thank you

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here