Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Enlarged L-axilla lymph node for approx. 5 months

DancingMama - Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:05 pm

Hi..

I'm a 31-year old female with a family history of breast cancer. I had have an enlarged lymph node in my left armpit for approx. 5 months. It is hard and fixed to the underlying tissue and has been gradually increasing in size. I have had an ultrasound that showed an abnormality (ratio of cortex to hilium?) within the node and it measured approx. 1.4cm. Today I had and FNA as well as a mammogram. The Dr. said that she believes it to be benign and I shouldn't worry, but obviousy I am because most everything I have read leads me to believe this could be malignant. I also recently had an MRI due to a still un-diagnosed thyroid condition which showed I have another enlarged lymph node (approx 1.2cm) under my chin (right submandilar). Could that be related in some way to the enlarged lymph node under my arm? Or possibly to the thryoid condition? I guess I'm just trying to look for answers because the Dr. today was pretty vague and unreassuring. I appreciate any words of wisdom.

Thank You! ~DancingMama
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:05 am

User avatar Hi there,

I would recommend you follow up with this condition since you have noticed it has increased in size. If it is indeed growing it may be worthwhile to excise the lymph node. This is not for me to recommend as it's up to your doctor to decide what is best for you. Do not hesitate to seek another opinion if you feel your current doctor has not fully addressed your concerns.

I don't think your arm pit lymph nodes are related to your thyroid condition or the submandibular lymph node.

Keep us updated.
 DancingMama - Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:05 pm

Hello and thank you for responding..

The results for my FNA came back as inconclusive and so I went back and had an ultrasound guided core biopsy. I'm anticipating the results will be in today sometime..so I'll let you know what becomes of it!

Thank you!!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:45 pm

The FNA of the lymph node in the axilla returned a benign diagnosis.However, one not so common condition needs to be kept in mind - Lymphomas. Lymphomas of the thyroid are known and can be associated with lymph nodal enlargement elsewhere.
One should remember that FNA may miss lymphomas and therefore the investigation of choice for suspected lymphoma affecting the lymph nodes is an excision biopsy.
Have you had an FNA of the thyroid lesion? It would be better to get it done.Good luck!

|