News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: NORMAL REACTION TO LYMPH NODE BIOPSY?

Nomad - Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:38 pm

Have had enlarged lymph nodes in neck, underarms and groin for eight months. Blood work all normal. No prior infection. Two weeks ago an excision biopsy to a node on the side of my neck reported as:-

1. Nonspecific dermatopathic changes
2. Lymph node with follicular hyperplasia and nonspecific dermatopathic changes

My surgeon says all is fine - that they must be reactive but we don't know what to.

The incision healed well. After approx five days, a node popped up directly under the scar. It is very raised, approx 2" x 1" and very hard. At my follow-up the Dr said this should reduce. He said there is also some slight neck swelling, probably due to interrupting the flow of lymph. He wants to check again in two weeks.

Is this a normal reaction to a biopsy? There is no sign of infection, redness or soreness. The only pain is coming from the disturbed SCM muscle.

My health is generally very good. I had a CT scan in October (for unrelated problem) which found a substernal mass (ectopic thyroid - since removed), small uterus mass (thought to be a fibroid) and some enlarged nodes as above. Also found 'multiple tiny pulmonary nodules' which are to be followed-up in three months.

I'd appreciate any reassurance, experience etc. Thank You.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:17 pm

User avatar Hello,

Thanks for your question. It would be hard to tell but it could be an infection / inflammation. It could be a hematoma. If it's benign then it should get smaller, the fact that it appeared so quickly also makes cancer unlikely in the absence of anything else. Are you receiving an antibiotic?

Hope you are doing well.
 Nomad - Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:32 am

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your help. I had to cancel my follow-up with the surgeon. I am not taking antibiotics but it has reduced in the last few days, so it is probably fine. Thanks again!
 robertopics - Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:47 am

i have a similar problem. just 2 days ago i went to the doctor and had a yellow liquid taken from my neck on the right side below the ear. i had had this lump for about 2-3 years with very slow growth. after the biopsy the mass had almost dissappeared but it reapeared over night even larger than before. there is some minor pain in the area and turning my head causes more pain. if its a normal reaction is there a way to some what aliviate the problem until my next appointment or will it gradually come down.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here