Forum Name: Ovarian Cancer

Question: Post hysterectomy? 8cm adenexal mass ovarian origin

jillryremom - Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:54 pm

Hello I am 37 years of age, I had a abdominal hysterectomy 9/07, everything removed due to size of fibroid except L ovary. 6months ago I experienced some L sided pain followed by Lower back discomfort, hormonal changes night sweats, indigestion, increased abdominal girth and weight gain around mid section 20+ pounds. I new something was wrong and thought that I was going into early menopause. Followed up with a new GYN and was sent for an ultrasound for a possible cyst. I now have been told that I have a large complex adenexal cyst/mass?? stated to be 8cm and probable need for surgey. My sister had breast cancer at age 24. Is there an increased risk that this could be cancer? What questions should I ask, and is ovarian cancer something that grows quickly. I just had the hysterectomy a little over a year and would have thought they would have noticed something on the ovary that was left behind. Thank you for your help I am just a little scared. Going to the GYN next week.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:08 am

I hope you are doing well and that your visit to the gynecologist went well.

Obviously, there are several reasons for concern. The fact that the mass is complex (solid/cystic) as well as the fact that it grew so quickly.

To answer your question about your risk, yes, unfortunately a personal / family history of ovarian / breast cancer is a strong risk factor (2-6x at risk).

That said it should be noted that the incidence of ovarian cancer is lowest in premenopausal women.

Please keep this thread updated! Good luck!

|