Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Hard lumps in neck area

DSALERNO - Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:17 pm

I have two concerns regarding hard lumps on neck area:
The first is my husband has a hard lump in the back of the neck underneath his hairline about in the middle of his neck. It is hard and not sore to the touch. It started off small and the doctor said not to worry about it but it is now quite large. My dad had the same thing and after he had it removed cancer showed up in his prostrate. The lump was benign or so they say.
Now my 6 year old granddaughter is crying tonight about her neck and behind the right ear and a little lower than the bottom of her earlobe is a large lump but it is very painful.
It hurts when you touch it or when she moves. They both look the same but one is tender the other isn't.
Can someone help ?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:08 pm

User avatar Dear dsalerno,

i don't think that there was any correlation between the lump that your dad had and the prostate cancer that he developed.

The hard lump on your husband's neck is most probably either a lipoma (a fat growth) or a sebaceous cyst (cyst filled with oily material that the skin produces to lubricate the hair). Both very commonly arise in this area and both are benign. If you or your husband have any worries about any lump, the best thing to do is to have it removed and analysed.

Regarding your granddaughter, this might be an enlarged lymph node or an abscess or an infected cyst, as the pain usually points to either inflammation or infection.

She needs to be seen by her doctor as soon as possible.

Thank you very much for using our website http://www.doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

|