Forum Name: Brain Tumors

Question: painless rubbery lump on skull, normal color, some headaches

maya1 - Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:53 pm

For years now I've had a hard (more rubbery than rock hard) lump on the back of my head (not my neck) about 6 1/2 cm behind my right ear. I'm not sure if it changes size, it does sometimes feel bigger but it may be my imagination. The size is 1 1/2 cm high, by 2 cm wide. The skin is not discolored, and doesn't look different than the skin surrounding it.

It doesn't cause any pain but I do get headaches fairly often. I used to get migraines but the headaches I get now feel like regular tension headaches.

I've asked my doctor but he always says it's a cyst without even looking at it. I thought cysts were supposed to move under the skin. I can wriggle mine, but not move it.

Should I be worried, given my family's history of cancer?

Thank you for any assistance that you can provide.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:31 pm

I am glad you have already reported this to your doctor as this is the only way to assess your condition. I urge others that read this post to do the same.

Sebaceous cysts are common in the scalp area. The size and feeling with depend on how tense they are as well as their location and the surrounding tissue. Again the movement is not a good indicator.

The fact that they have been there for so long and that you do not have any neck swellings (lymph gland enlargement) are all reassuring.

Should the swelling grow or should you complain of any new symptoms then I would recommend you report that to your doctor right away.

maya1 - Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:23 pm

Thank you for your response!

|