Forum Name: Brain Tumors

Question: Sharp Pain In The Back Right side of my head

Devildog673 - Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:13 pm

Help me on this one. Every now and then I get this sharp pain in the back right lower side of my head where there is a big bone. It streaks up the bone sharply (very painful and paralyzing). Could this be something to be concerned about?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:36 pm

Recurring occipital headache can occur due to a number of conditions. Occipital root headache is due to compression of the occipital nerve root by conditions in the neck vertebrae (spinal column).

Tingling sensation over the skin of the neck may be present with this condition. They may occur on one side of the back of the head / neck. X-ray of the upper cervical spine demonstrates osteoarthritis and clinically there may be signs of tenderness on one side of the neck (C2-3 facet joint ipsilateral to the headache).

Occipital neuralgia is a specific condition that results from an inflammation or compression of the greater occipital nerve as it exits at the back of the neck. Pain may be referred to the neck.

On the other hand pain at the back of the head may also result from muscle spasm (tension type headache).

I hope this was helpful.

|