Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Axillary lymphoma

pony - Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:56 pm

Hi doctor,I'm a 20yrs old female and I've noticed that lumps are appearing in both my armpit.The size and position is not fixed and its painful when i press it..i've been experiencing this for about 4yrs ...I'm not sure whether its lymphoma problem and never heard of it from anyone experiencing it before..the lump is more painful when i have fever or cold..its vry distracting ,what can i do doctor ? is there any specialist doctor for this problem that i can seek help from ? i am always worry doctor
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:45 pm

User avatar Hi pony,

Thanks for your question. You are right to worry about this issue and should not hesitate to get yourself examined. Ideally an oncologist but really any primary care physician can examine you and evaluate your case.

Your doctor will need to check your breasts as well as other lymph node areas. Depending on how large and the growth pattern of these swellings you may need to do a few scans on the breast to exclude any breast tumors.

The presence of lymph nodes in both axillae do suggest a more generalized disease. This could be lymphoma although it does seem strange for it to present in both armpits. On the other hand it could very well be a long standing infection or a complication of an infection (shotty lymph nodes).

Please get yourself examined as soon as possible.
 NCM - Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:51 pm

Hello Doctor,
I have a question regarding this post. Within the last two weeks I have had lumps appear under my right armpit also. These lumps are very painful and the original two lumps have now shrank and now it is just one very large one and the two small ones are now the size of peas. They also look like bruises. The large one stings and is very painful. I am currently concerned because I currently do not have any medical insurance and for this reason can not go to the doctor like I would want to. Do you have any advice for me as to what I can do to reduce the pain and if there are any options for someone like me who is uninsured? Do my symptoms sound like it could be something serious?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:41 am

User avatar Hi NCM,

Unfortunately, it's impossible to give you an assessment over the internet. Doctors Lounge - Ask a Doctor is mainly an educational tool.

You must be examined properly to exclude anything serious.

Regarding insurance issues, I will refer this to our Top Nurse, she may suggest several options for you.

Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:51 am

User avatar Hi NCM,
If you would be so kind as to direct me in the area in which you are located I would be glad to attempt to assist you in locating health care options.

|