News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: colon cancer - nose swelling

kcronie - Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:40 pm

Hi
My 35 year old husband has stage 4 colon cancer with mets in his liver, lungs, and several lymph nodes. He has been receiving treatment for about a year now, after having about a 3rd of his colon removed.
This morning he woke up with swelling on both sides of his nose. Its painless, but I'm concerned. He sees his oncologist later this week, but I want him to call now and he is not so concerned because it doesn't hurt. Should we be concerned? What do you think it is?
Thanks
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:45 pm

User avatar Hello,

I really cannot imagine what this is? Is it restricted only around the nose? Does he have a runny nose, sore throat or anything suggestive of infection? Is it reddish in color?

What treatment is he currently receiving? What is the status of his immunity (WBC count)? Is it tender?

Yes, I think you should report this to his doctor. Please keep this thread updated.
 kcronie - Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:25 pm

Hello,
The swelling went away on its own. We did see his doctor on his regular treatment, but it had gone away already. He had no idea what it was.
My husband is receiving Folfiri and Avastin. He was also receiving Cetuximab until July.
It still has me concerned (the swelling) because he had a slight fever the night before it nose swelled, but his blood work looked great this week so I guess it was just a random occurance.
What is your impression?
Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:28 am

User avatar Hi,
I really can't tell. I am sorry I am unable to make a good enough guess at this without actually seeing it.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here