Forum Name: Cervical Cancer

Question: uterus enlarged and fibroids, and thickening of the lining

mpeterson1105 - Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:47 pm

Hi, I went to my gyno last week and they did an ultrasound on my uterus, and they found a fibroid, an enlarged uterus and thickening of the lining, they have yet to get back with me about what to do at this point. Is there anything for me to worry about? I am 42 years old, and I have had 2 children.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:39 pm

Most likely cancer is not the problem. These changes often occur during the perimenopause period, which can last several years prior to the actual menopause. There are treatment options, both hormonal, minimally invasive such as D & C or ablation for the uterine lining (diagnostic and treatment) and surgery for the fibroids if they are large and causing problems -bleeding, pain, etc. Sometimes hysterectomy is recommended but not necessarily. I'm sure your doctor will explain your treatment possibilities along with risks and benefits so be prepared to ask lots of questions to make the right decision for you.

|