News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Esophageal Cancer

Question: Damage to Esophagus

whatsupdoc - Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:20 pm

Hi,

I am attempting to post on these forums a second time. It seems my previous post is not in tact.

I am a 42 yr old Male who is wondering what to expect or if some of the following issues are related to an ongoing problem.

Starting at about the age 16 I have had regurgitation problems resulting in everything I eat or drink to back up into my mouth. It is almost immediately after I swallow that this occurs.

After a while it seems to stop but will continue if I lie down, bend over or do physical activity. It is very common that hours after eating I have very strong acidic product backing up into my mouth. My throat has always felt harsh and dry. I often get a feeling as if there is something stuck.

This has been a daily occurrence several times a day for about 26 years.

I have had severe heartburn and a pretty uncomfortable stomach for quite some time.

The situation was noticed by a few family members and peers when it started and I was teased greatly for it. I have always been embarrassed about the situation and have never seen a Doctor.

In the past 3 months I have noticed at the bottom of my neck right where the collarbone is located that both sides are swollen like two little balloons or sacs.
There is no pain associated with them. Additionally I have been having a numbness and cold feeling on the left side of my neck from the back of my jawbone down to the left side where it is swollen.

I am not sure if it is associated but have been having severe constipation with stool that is very hard and looks like a bunch of grapes clumped together. (sorry for the description of that)

For the past 5-6 months I have had extreme lower back pain left and right side that seems to most prevalent at night. I often feel the need to urinate at night. It feels like I am poisoned or very toxic at night or when I wake in the mourning. Urination sometimes seems like it relieves the feeling at times.

Aside from all of this I have recently had severe fatigue.

As for past history I have always been pretty healthy. I did however have a period of about 8 years of alcohol and prescription (opioid) addiction.

I have not engaged in either for just over seven years now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:48 pm

You have been enduring this problem for 26 years, that's a long time so to you now it's your norm. but it's not normal. Chronic reflux can cause not only inflammation in the tissues of the esophogus it can also cause strictures to form. Reflux if severe and left untreated can also lead to a precancerous condition called Barretts esophogus. I really think that you should see a gastroenterologist so they can do a EGD if you have not already had one recently. It also sounds like you may have a hiatal hernia (this is when a portion of the stomach pops up through the diaphragm into the chest cavity) the only way to determine the actual condition and the state of severity is to see the GI doctor.
Some things you can do to help alleviate some of the symptoms are to not eat or drink for 4 hours before bed. Elevate the head of your bed. Avoid carbonated beverages, alcohol, caffiene and foods that you know cause you to have increased indigestion ( most people complain from peppers, onions, acidic foods like tomato sauces etc.) You can also try some Prilosec OTC to help with the symptoms but you still need to see the doctor.
I really don't know what to tell you about your swelling....I'm not familiar with that, nor with your back pain.
Please follow up as I've suggested, it is very important !
Please let us know how you're doing
peace,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here