Forum Name: Endocrine Cancers

Question: AC Attenuation Correction Thickness on a PET/CT Scan Slide

donna p - Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:58 pm

General query, Please: attenuation correction thickness refers to a length between slides on a ct scan or thickness of a tumor? PET/CT results translated. Thank you.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:20 pm

Hello Donna,

The term attenuation in a CT or PET scan refers to what happens when a beam of radiation passes through matter. The beam decreases. So, attenuation correction thickness is to allow for that decrease in establishing the thickness of whatever is being scanned.

I hope this helps you.

Faye, RN, MSW
 dyagernpc - Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:51 am

In CT-based attenuation correction, CT data are acquired over the area of the body to be scanned with PET and are reconstructed into a series of transverse CT images. A multilinear transformation is applied to estimate the linear attenuation coefficient at 511 keV (µ511) from the CT numbers (Hounsfield units). After the transformation is applied, these data are smoothed to a degree comparable to the resolution of PET to minimize edge artifacts. The resulting transformed and smoothed images are then forward-projected to generate the CT-based attenuation correction file, which is applied to the emission data.
Basically, the attenuation correction is the final image based on the merged computed data from the PET and CT scans which highlights tumors or "hot spots".

http://radiology.rsnajnls.org/cgi/conte ... type=HWCIT
 donna p - Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:26 am

Faye Lang, RN, MSW wrote:Hello Donna,

I hope this helps you.

Faye, RN, MSW

i.e. a tumor, Faye, in a head and neck ct/pet, CTAC 3.75 THICK in slide annotation; I am not being facetious. Thanks for the response kindly, Donna P.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi donna p,

Thank you for the update. I'm sorry to hear that there is a tumor involved. I wish you (or the person involved) successful treatment and recovery.

Best wishes,

|