Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: Excruciating Anal pain and alot of bleeding

sdexcid - Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:15 am

I am a 26 year old male. I am in ok shape maybe a little chubby and need to be excersizing but overall Im ok.

One year ago I was on an IV antibiotic due to a badly infected leg. While being on this treatment my stools became really massive in size. They were hard to get out.
One day while having a bowel movement, out of no where it felt like this god awful knife cut me up inside my anal, For the first time in my life there was blood on my stool and the toilet water was quite red. The toilet paper was also soaked in red blood. I though to myself wow that hurt and thought hope that never happens again.

Low and behold the next time I had a BM I had this unrealstic sharp pain feeling like it was in the same spot. I could barely handle it I didnt know what to do. The stool was coming and I reach under and helded by butt cheeks tight hoping it would relieve this pain. Finally the stool passed and again it was all full of bright red blood. The same looking blood that comes from a bloody nose.

This occurred for several weeks while I tried home remedies to fix whatever happened. I used laxatives and suppositories. It wasnt so hard to pass stool anymore as they must have become lubricated and softer. Still I continued like this for months. I went to the doctors he had a quick look up there with a light im guessing. He said my veins were very swollen and he gave me these tubes of some anal gel to use for hemerroids. I told him I don't think I have hemorroids I cut myself or something. Anyways the creams did the same thing, theh lubricated the stool but that was all. I was still having pain.

I got the the flu one day that lasted for 1 week. In that time I had explosive diarhea it completely gave my issue a break and caused very little pain if any. All of the sudden my issue was somewhat gone. For the next two-three months I could have a BM in peace. With no pain or blood. But I could still feel a little irritation when the stool went past the recent pain area. I was so happy it seemed to be healing.

Well just recently about 2 months ago bang it started out of no where. I had a harder stool than usual and larger also. Now the same thing is back. Everytime I have BM it hurts really really really badly. The blood has returned also. The other day I seriously saw little drops of blood drip into the toilet right from my anal. Again the toilet paper was soaked in blood. The pain feels like pooping razor blades. Once and awhile I will see a streak of blood down the side of the stool. I can almost guess when the stool will have the streak of blood because I can feel the pain of it touching the cut. The pain will last for hours my BM and it is really painful and uncomfortable. My appetite has always been great, no stomach pains just this.

I apologize for such a long letter but i wanted to include all of the information
I could. Can you tell me what in the heck has happened to me up there. It feels like the cut is right on the area you have to push your poop through. Not the immediate hole but up like 8 inches. Is that the sphincter? Do I have something? Cause this is crazy. I dread going to the bathroom all the time! I have been unable to go to the doctors about this issue again because my lifestyle is so busy . Trust me everyday I say ok next week I have to go to a doctor because i cant deal with this anymore. And on and on we go. Thanks so much for reading this all! I hope you can help
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:55 pm

HI, I'm not sure how your post got in the oncology page but I really think the problem is not a cancer but an anal fissure. This is exactly what you describe , a cut. There are two sphincters at the anus. internal and external. Having alternating bowel habits, diarrhea...constipation can make this problem worse. Right now I know of a few things that can help you. Stool softeners, high fiber in your diet, water...avoid constipating foods, beef, cheese, rice...There are also doctors that can help when this becomes unbearable. A colo-rectal surgeon can do a "repair", I believe they cut the internal sphincter and this somehow allows for relaxation and healing. Also some gastroenterologist will inject Botox into the area...to literally paralyze the muscle...allowing for the area to heal. Sitz baths can help alot. but do try to keep the area dry when not in water. Keeping the area clean and dry is very important to avoid infection as a complication. Problems with anal fissures are often misdiagnosed as hemorrhoid problems and you may have both. Unfortunately this problem will usually come and go throughout a lifetime. So when you're ready go see a specialist.
I hope this helps.
peace,
 sdexcid - Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:45 pm

I have no idea either. I am new here I didn't even know where to post a question like this.

Thanks for your reply. I couldn't find time through the day to see a doctor so I could not take the pain and bleeding anymore. I went into the ER and a doctor got me to strip and lay sideays on the bed. After examing my anal he said "wow you have quite the anal fissure up there".

So your diagnosis was right too, thanks so much. He prescribed me a cream called diltiazem 2% gel compound. Oddly enough the DR forgot to tell me how and when to use it. I was embarassed enough that I didnt even think of asking. When I saw the pharmacist she basically told me to apply twice a day and use lots of fibre and drink lots of water. Afterwards I got thinking when should i use this exactly. Anyways if you know when I am supposed to use it I would appreciate it. Do I use it before a bowel movement? Right after? How far up do I insert the gel?
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:56 pm

Sorry it's taken me so long to see your response. I'm glad you got the correct diagnosis and the help you needed. The medicine they gave you really needs to be absorbed by the tissues in the anus to help you so you want to apply it when it has time to work (not immediately before a bowel movement) and then it will benefit you the most. Hope you're feeling better.
peace,

|