Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: bump on the back of my neck?

pixie690 - Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:22 pm

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place. Sorry!

I found a quarter sized hard bump on the back of my neck a couple of weeks ago. But forgot about it for a while. Then I re-found it and got scared. It is very hard. Just above my neck muscle where my neck meets the bottom of my head. It covers have of the top right side of my neck and moved into the middle of my neck over the spinal cord. There is no pain or anything.

I also want to point out that I have 3 or 4 lymph nodes sticking out on the right side of my neck as well. This has been like that for about a year. In this area all around my neck there is pain. Sometime shooting pain, sometime pressure. The pain also rides around to the front of my neck and around to my throught. I have had a swollen gland for about a year there as well. Nest I have alot of shooting and pressure pains arount my ear on that side as well. Most pain start just behind my earlobe where my jawbone meets it. The it moves up from there and on occation throughout my head. The pain also comes down into my collarbone. There are some lymph nodes there as well sticking out.

On the left side in front of my ear, right next to my cheekbone I have a pea sized bumb that has a slight pain. I have a little pain arount this ear as well, but not as much as the right ear.

And last I just feel like places all around me ears and temples are swelling, or just changing. Are that lymph nodes in all of these place that could be dong that.

I know this is a lot. I don't have insurance right now and can't afford to go to the doctor. Any imput would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:54 pm

As much as I would love to help you, it's impossible to assess your condition without examining you physically.

The presence of lymph nodes in all these areas is something that warrants examination. Some of these lymph nodes have obviously been around for some time which may be reassuring. The bump on the back of your neck could be anything from an occipital protuberance to a sebaceous cyst to an occipital lymph gland.

Please have this condition checked. Some university hospitals may offer free services. Please check the internet for options in your area.

|