Forum Name: Brain Tumors

Question: Possible Brain Tumor or Epilepsy

Nizsafari - Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:37 pm

Over the last 6 weeks I have had 3 episodes of passing out and collapsing , on each occasion i get a wierd feeling followed by a "Vision" in my head and before i know it, I'm on the floor, the vision is the same each time. all that happens is i pass out, there are no seisures, tongue biting or uncontrolled bodily actions.
We have a family history of Heart Disease (Father) and my Uncle has Epilepsy (Mothers side). I have seen my GP and he said it Is either Epilepsy or a brain tumor, I'm off for an ECG and a CAT next week..

Can you shed any light on this?
I'm a 37yr old European Male in reasonably good health with no health problems

Cheers
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:21 pm

While it is possible this sort of symptomlogy could be caused by a brain tumor, there's no particular reason to suspect that, and it strikes me as slightly odd that an MD would throw that in as a possibility vs. epilepsy, unless he was going to try and list all the possible causes, because there are many. In fact, the scattershot approach of ordering an EKG and CT (presumably of the brain) doesn't make a lot of sense without a complete neurological workup.

Your "spells" could be causes by a heart irregularity (and so the EKG would then make sense, but usually can be done in most doctors' offices); an MRI of the brain would be more appropriate also, and hopefully if the EKG shows nothing then a neurological consult will be ordered,as you really do need a neurological workup to rule out partial seizures. The pre-episodal "visions" do suggest an aura such as many people experience prior to a seizure, wether it is focal/partial or grand mal. Many more people suffer from epileptiform seizure activity than have "classic" grand mal seizures, although the appearance of either can eventually bring along the other with it.

In any case, brain tumor would be pretty far down the list of causes.

I hope by now you've at least been worked up for cardiological problems and had them ruled out. If you actually meant EEG rather than EKG, then I hope a neurologist administered the test or at least reads the results. I strongly suspect partial seizures, which may be managed with medication. An MRI of the brain would help show up any sort of lesion on the brain, which need not be a tumor to cause this sort of thing (although, again, it's not impossible either -- it's just statistically rather unlikely).

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.

|