Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Anterior mediastinal mass after chemo for stage 4 colon canc

birddog1 - Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:58 pm

Anterior mediastinal mass after chemo for stage 4 colon cancer

My wife under went six mounth of FolFox 5FU with Avastin and then Cytoreducive Surgery with Intra Peritoneal Hyperthermic Chemotherapy for Disseminted Peritoneal Cancer, in June of 08. So far so good, after six months, no sign of cancer.

The problem is that a recent CT revealed:

"Interval development of an anterior mediastinal mass. This is in the area of the thymus, and it could represent thymic hyperplacia, however it was not enlarged on the comparison study rising the possibility of neoplasm."

We have the opinion of the surgeon who did the surgery ( I have the utmost respect for his opinion, he is a Professor and the chief oncoligacle surgeon, or something like that, in a major teaching hospital ) but our local Oncologist is out of town for two weeks and with this being my wife and all, I would love to hear the thoughts of an Oncologist.

PS: Could you please translate the portion of the report that I posted for me?

Thank you, birddog
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:48 pm

A mass in the anterior mediastinum is most commonly due to a disease affecting the thymus. Thymic hyperplasia being the most common condition is entirely benign. Cancer arising from the thymus is relatively rare. What the report says is thymic hyperplasia would be put at the top of the list however, since this mass was not present in a previous scan the possibility of a tumor must be excluded.

Another common condition is a retrosternal extension of a thyroid goiter.

Metastasis in this area would be unlikely from a colon cancer. Tumors of the anterior mediastinum other than thymoma include Hodgkin's lymphoma as well as germ cell tumors.

Please keep us updated as to the condition of your wife.
Good luck to her!
 Dr. M. Chowhan - Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:11 am

I agree with views expressed by Dr Tamer and it may not be of much concern however as your Surgeon knows better please accept the suggestion of your referring Surgeon.
I hope if there is suspicion a PET study may be of help in this situation.
with thanks from
Dr M . Chowhan

|