News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: stroke like symptoms after hvy chemo therapy

pmajames - Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:26 pm

My questions is as follows:

Can hvy doses of Chemo cause stroke like symptoms on people, especially a 10 year old male child?

He has had Lukemia for 6 months & is treated wonderfully at CHOC. He experienced a strange stroke like symptom last night with tingling of the lips, left side, slured speech, clenched fist and drooling and shortness in breathing. He went to a local ER for stabelizing and was forwarded to CHOC a little later. MRI and CAT scan later showed no leaking even with severly low platlets and is no longer w/those symptoms. Dr.s are now guessing about "spastic or aterial spasim".

Any info or research suggestions would be appreciated.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:07 pm

User avatar Hello,

I am not a pediatric oncologist, I am involved with the treatment of adults. I am glad that the CT doesn't show any problems. It could be several things really including chemotherapy toxicity. This would depend on the type of chemotherapy that he has received. Cytarabine can cause central nervous system toxicity especially when given intrathecally. L-Asparaginase is another drug commonly used in the treatment in some leukemias and can cause central neurotoxicity. It could also have been a transient metabolic disturbance among other things.

I hope he is doing well.

Best regards,
 pmajames - Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:51 pm

thank you

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here