News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Really worried I have got cancer

vanilth - Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:39 am

Hi,

I am a 26 year old female, non smoker occasional drinker.
About 4 months ago I discovered an ulcer on the right side edge of my tongue, I told my dentist and he has referred me to the dentist hospital but my appointment is not until march. Before Christmas I discovered that the back wall of pharynx is swollen on the right side but thought I have it checked when I go to the dental hospital.
This week it has got worse, it feels like its obstructing my airways and I have a tingling tense sort of feeling inside my mouth mostly on the right side.
I checked my mouth for any lumps yesterday but couldn't find anything, but there is a redness on my lower gums on the left side and a line just under the root of the teeth. I also think I have a lump in my neck just under my right tonsil.

Over the Xmas break I caught a cold and had fever for a couple of days and my tonsils, especially my right tonsil was swollen. But when I felt the right tonsil there was another lump under the tonsil that felt really tender to touch. Not sure if it was a separate lump or the tonsil but it felt like another lump.
I also had a lot of problem drinking as it felt like I couldnt breathe, almost wheezing and the same happen right after a meal.
I discovered that by taking a couple of ibuprofens this would get slightly better. I had this breathing problem for a week and only felt it again after drinking an alcoholic drink, so I havent been drinking alcohol since then.
This week the problem has got worse as all my right side in back of throat feels swollen, it feels unconfortable eating, I have a feeling of being full constantly even though i get hungry. I have a pain in my chest where the ribs meet and it feels like someone is squeezing the pipe from my throat down to my stomach.I also get tension head aches really bad and I normally never have problems with headaches.

Is this cancer or could it be something else? I constantly worry that I have got mouth
or eosphagal cancer.

Thank you for listening.

Vanilth
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:14 pm

User avatar Hi,

I really wish I could help you but without an examination this would be impossible.

The fact that you also suspect a neck swelling should prompt you to seek medical attention at once.

Otherwise your symptoms are rather nonspecific which would make it inaccurate to give you an assessment based on your complaint alone.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here