Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: Could my frequent Nosebleeds really be signs of Leukemia?

Xeomara - Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:47 am

HI! Im an 18 year old boy... It seems that over all the years my Nosebleeds have become so frequent that I expect them 2-3 times a month.... And I was searching the internet, and saw on one page that Nosebleeds of signifacnt bleeding and frequency... may be the onset or weaker forms of Leukemia...
Is this True?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:44 am

It can be a symptom, along with many other signs, but it can also be caused by a number of other factors, including a genetic predisposition, not enough humidity in the air and even a need for an increase of salt in the diet. Other causes are high blood pressure, trauma (even nose picking), allergies, alcohol abuse and rhinitis. Rarely there is a bleeding problem.

If you are worried about serious problems, you would need to have blood testing to rule out such disorders as leukemia.

Xeomara - Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:55 am

Could I have a genetic Predisposition even if no one else in my family gets Nose Bleeds even nearly as often as I do?

And as for salt in my Diet, how much do you think may be needed? Because I already "love me some salt" according to my brother, meaning he thinks that I eat too much of it...
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:10 pm

There isn't an actual recommendation for salt intake; I just know this sometimes helps people. If you already use it generously, that will probably not help.

As for genetic disorders - yes, you can be diagnosed even when you don't find others in the family. It's just a clue that can help you zero in on a possible cause.

Some people find they are worse in the winter when air is dry due to forced air heating. If the season change doesn't help, see a doctor.

|