News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: Could my frequent Nosebleeds really be signs of Leukemia?

Xeomara - Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:47 am

HI! Im an 18 year old boy... It seems that over all the years my Nosebleeds have become so frequent that I expect them 2-3 times a month.... And I was searching the internet, and saw on one page that Nosebleeds of signifacnt bleeding and frequency... may be the onset or weaker forms of Leukemia...
Is this True?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:44 am

User avatar Hello,
It can be a symptom, along with many other signs, but it can also be caused by a number of other factors, including a genetic predisposition, not enough humidity in the air and even a need for an increase of salt in the diet. Other causes are high blood pressure, trauma (even nose picking), allergies, alcohol abuse and rhinitis. Rarely there is a bleeding problem.

If you are worried about serious problems, you would need to have blood testing to rule out such disorders as leukemia.

Best wishes.
 Xeomara - Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:55 am

Could I have a genetic Predisposition even if no one else in my family gets Nose Bleeds even nearly as often as I do?

And as for salt in my Diet, how much do you think may be needed? Because I already "love me some salt" according to my brother, meaning he thinks that I eat too much of it...
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:10 pm

User avatar Hi,
There isn't an actual recommendation for salt intake; I just know this sometimes helps people. If you already use it generously, that will probably not help.

As for genetic disorders - yes, you can be diagnosed even when you don't find others in the family. It's just a clue that can help you zero in on a possible cause.

Some people find they are worse in the winter when air is dry due to forced air heating. If the season change doesn't help, see a doctor.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here