Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: HOW SAFE TO GET AN ENDOSCOPY AND COLONOSCOPY AT SAME TIME?

jeansmithy - Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:32 pm

Is is good to get endoscopy and colonoscopy at the same time or is it better to do them separately?
 Lindseysmommy - Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:32 pm

Are you referring to endoscopy of the esophagus? I got a colonoscopy and endoscopy of my esophagus at the same time. They just turned me around..saves alot of money on medical bills as well as you don't have to pay twice for some of the stuff.. I don't think all facilities will do it though. I was bleeding however, so they had to find the source..
 jeansmithy - Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:04 am

I believe it's referring to the endoscopy being of the esophagus down into the stomach and small intestine. It makes sense what you said regarding one having both done at the same time. However, how did they find out where you were bleeding? was it really bad, and how did they take care of it/ Did you regret having the endoscopy and the colonoscopy done separately?
P.S. Are you a nurse? I thought the replies to questions came from doctors.
I await your response either way and thank you.
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:13 pm

Having a double procedure is very safe and very common. It's nice for the patient because you only have to have that one appointment and the truth is you really won't know the difference once you have been sedated or anesthetised. It gives you a lower cost, more convienience. I can only tell you that you're lucky to be able to have them both done at once. Some doctors won't do them on the same day because they don't get reimbursed as much from insurance.
Have you any other concerns or questions ?

|