Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: swollen submental node

Freegirl - Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:20 am

I am a 28 year old girl, in a good shape and healthy. I got a cold three weeks ago. I didn't take enough rest and it made me very weak. Now I am ok, but still coughing. I still get more tired than usual. I suddenly had lots of pimples on my face (including a large one under my chin). I have been using two creams for my acne since 6 months ago (Differin, Clindoxyl), so I put them on my new pimples.
Yesterday when I put on the cream on my chin, I noticed a lump under my chin. It is where submental nodes are. It is pea-sized, very hard and does not move. It doesn't hurt at all.
I was wondering what it may be. I have had viral infection and it is close to my period. Can it because of those reasons, or is it cancer?
What should I do? I am living alone in Canada and got very scared since I have no one to help me.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:05 pm

User avatar Hi there -

The location of the submental nodes make the area a problem in terms of this sort of complaint, which is usually either a pimple coming up from underneath, or often just a blocked or inflamed lymph node. Since it's hard to the touch, and small, it could be either. The submental nodes frequently wind up doing a lot of work fighting infections both in the layers of the local skin and the lower front teeth also. This can sometimes (if a pimple) be related to the menstrual cycle, but it's very unlikely indicative of cancer. For one thing, this is an extremely unusual location for an isolated lymph node cancer. It's also a very common area for both deep pimple formation and inflamed, sometimes blocked glands.

Watch this spot for a while. It may blossom into a pimple or become more swollen and a little red, then subside. Use of the two creams you have currently can't hurt and may help. If the bump remains as it is, it might be due to something going on with a tooth or some other oral irritation or infection, so if it doesn't resolve within a week or so, you might want to bring it to the attention of a doctor, but I wouldn't rush. Cancer is pretty far down on the list of possibilities, and in the case of the lymph system you'd liklely be noticing larger abnormal nodes under the jaw and especially in one or both armpits.

Again, keep an eye on this, but try to avoid touching the area too much, except to apply the creams. I suspect it will slowly disappear in a week or so.

Good luck to you. Please follow up with us here as needed.
 Freegirl - Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:13 am

Thanks a lot for the reply. Actually I went to see a doctor two weeks ago. He told me it was my lymph node and said it could be because i had a cold. He asked me to wait for couple of weeks. If it is not better he will send me to do blood test and ultrasound.
I have been waiting for two weeks, no change... It is completely painless, the same size as two weeks ago. I am really worried...
 smile2me - Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:36 pm

Im a 24yo female that is primarily healthy. when i was about 14 i noticed that i would break out ith terible facial acne at teh same time that i would feel tender, painful, movable 'balls' located under my chin, my doctor at that time said it was just a lymph node.
this would occur about twice a year and became less painful. however in the past year it occurs about three times a month and is very painful- barely allowing me to to move my jaws- this is followed by severe acne.
a sonogram showed submental lymph nodes
this occured yesterday but this time i lso noticed a similar bumb at the base of my head/neck.
what can this be? should i be concerned? and what doctor do i use to investigate this further?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:20 am

The oral cavity is full of microorganisms and prone to minor infections and tauma.Therefore, elargement of the submental and submandibular lymph nodes is fairly common.These nodes at times tend to persist for pronged periods of time(after initially reducing in size with treatment). Therefore, isolated enlargement of these nodes is not always an ominous sign- but,if they continue to enlarge or if there is a change in consistency(nodes becoming harder), one should certainly investigate.
 smile2me - Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:09 pm

Thanks for the response, I still have the swollen nodes, however they are not painful. I was just diagnosed with Lyme diesease and the doctore said that this may be playing around with the nodes.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:45 pm

User avatar Hello smile2me,
Thank you for keeping us updated.Hope you will get better soon.Lymph nodal enlargement is not a very common feature of lyme disease.

|